Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

SOLD! BTW, what's a Mickey cluster? If its everything in the pic and they work, then SOLD! :D
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

Terry wrote:SOLD! BTW, what's a Mickey cluster? If its everything in the pic and they work, then SOLD! :D
Sold already, sorry.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

OK who is going to answer Terry`s question.

What is a Mickey cluster.???????? :oops:

Or more to the point, how did it get its name????

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

broook wrote:OK who is going to answer Terry`s question.

What is a Mickey cluster.???????? :oops:

Or more to the point, how did it get its name????
Just look at it. Does it not look like some stupid mickey mouse hat?

I have a CB-F cluster there now that I think is not so visually offensive and a volt meter for the handle bar.

The original cluster did not fit the new forks and triple clamp, I have CB1100F wheels and forks on the bike now for a better size wheels and tire selection.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

OK. See it now that you mention it. :oops:

How about those stock round handlebar mirrors? They look micky mouse too. I replaced mine with rectangular chrome ones. Look way better and give better rear view vision. :D

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

broook wrote:OK. See it now that you mention it. :oops:

How about those stock round handlebar mirrors? They look micky mouse too. I replaced mine with rectangular chrome ones. Look way better and give better rear view vision. :D

Here is another option to cure the Mickey Mouse early model mirror look. BTW you need to remove the harmonic balancer(s) before inserting bar end mirrors. Don't try to drill them out unless you own a carbide drill company since they are 4" long or so.....heat the outside of end of the clip on and unscrew the balancer since they are threaded.

Mike

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

Mike Brown Barone #123 wrote:

Mike
That sure is a very nice view of your bike Mike, I like it.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

I bought it new in 1980 and at that time no one was interested or knew how to make an early model CBX handle. Over the years I worked on solutions that were econo and period hardware based...some worked great ....others did not.

If you check out that photo again note the distorted twist grip....testimony that all the handling fixes finally came together and resulted in an early model CBX that does indeed handle using period parts.

Also those are Interceptor clip ons which I added 3/4" to the ends.....and the result is almost like power steering in the twisties and far better feel that the OEM CBX sport kit clip ons which are way too short and an odd angle also.

My CBX has what I estimate to be near 100k miles (speedo cable was broke for 5 years and the tach based owner didnt fix it) so there were many more miles than show on the speedo now which is 65k or so. My X photos far better than it looks in person (da Dawgie nickname is appropriate) an it is by no means an amazing X like the turbos and custom Xs in the Xpress, but again none of these CBXs have got by in the twisties in 25 years so I am happy....reallllly happy.

Jeff B is redoing it now and it should be done for next years East Coast Mountain to Mountain Rally, but nomatter how good it looks after this it is done I consider owning/riding a CBX, plus the CBX budz and budzettes I have had all this time "the" high point of my motorcycle life

You should consider getting a cheap flight over here and attending this ride. We will provide you a bike to ride as we have many others from all over the world over the years

Thanks for your comments and posts.

Mike

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

I am going to the east coast for the Honda Hoot next year and then to Penns for some more riding with friens=ds and family.

If the times coincide, I will be there. I would love to ride with you.

My X should handle better than any stock 79 also since I put my CB1100F wheels, CB1100F forks with new Progressive springs Works Performance shocks and a JMC swing arm. I will find out when the carbs get straightened out.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Check this link out to see what is in the planning stages with ICOA Rallies the time you will be here in 2006.

viewtopic.php?t=1611

If going to the largest single club CBX rally ever is something you might like..........your timing for being on the East Coast could not be better.

Also, I live in SE Pa near Harrisburg and nomatter what else happens we can ride the mountains here. I have a bike for you. We talked a bit about the 1100f mods early on when you were doing your bike so you can check out da Dawgie then and try it out.

Mike

Mike

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

Mike Brown Barone #123 wrote:Check this link out to see what is in the planning stages with ICOA Rallies the time you will be here in 2006.

viewtopic.php?t=1611

If going to the largest single club CBX rally ever is something you might like..........your timing for being on the East Coast could not be better.

Also, I live in SE Pa near Harrisburg and nomatter what else happens we can ride the mountains here. I have a bike for you. We talked a bit about the 1100f mods early on when you were doing your bike so you can check out da Dawgie then and try it out.

Mike

Mike
I will have my X with me, she will be at the Honda Hoot next year to show all the Wingers up.

So Mike, you can count on a ride at the end of June next year with me and a couple of family members and friends. How about it?
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”