79 CBX Will Not Runn Right ~ Help Needed

55chevy
New Member & Happy To Be Here

79 CBX Will Not Runn Right ~ Help Needed

Post by 55chevy »

My CBX was not running right, stalling and loading up. Rebuild the carbs and now the engine will not go over 6,000 rpm. At 6,000 it falls flat on its face, tried putting on the chock to see if it needed more gas and then I turned off the gas to see if it was to rich. Change the plus and the wires. What do I do next.

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Passx »

I'd bet that you have a bad set of float needles, the spring on the pin tends to go south ocassionally and it causes the symptoms you describe. You can buy just the needles from any K+L dealer and it'll run better, hope this helps.

Steve P.

55chevy

Post by 55chevy »

Steve

Just rebuild the carbs. Everything is new.

Thanks Bob

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

Is she getting vent through the gas cap. Try slacking the cap off when it starts to cut out.

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

You didn't tell us what happened when you put on the choke or turned off the gas. When you put on the choke, did it continue to rev? Is the stock airbox in place? Does it have the proper air filter and is the lid on the box correctly? The CBX is the most senesitive motor I have ever seen to rich/lean conditions caused by airbox condition. Which exhaust do you have on the bike? Is there any chance you got the main and the slow jets reversed? Was the problem there before you rebuilt the carbs? When did it start? Why did you rebuild the carbs? Give us as much info as you can and we will try to help.

Cheers, Tom

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

...slides?

Post by Mike Nixon »

Are the slides moving freely? Although CV carbs don't operate their slides in a linearly rpm-related way, they do in a throttle position related way, and it could be you have one or more slides sticking and not coming up. This carburetor will work fine without the slide moving until almost half throttle, at which point the slides raise. :)

55chevy

Re: 79 CBX Will Not Runn Right ~ Help Needed

Post by 55chevy »

When I put on the choke or turned off the gas the engine didn't change at all, even let the engine run out of gas to when I turned off the valve and it just die. It has the stock exhaust. As for the jets, I was very careful not to make that mistake. The bike started running rich and would not idle. If you ran the bike hard it ran fine but once it came to and idle it would stall. There is new gas in the bike and I clean the tank and the shutoff valve and the screen. The stock air box is on the bike. The bike is stock in every way. Didn't try to loosen the gas cap, but this was new around three years ago. About the slide I can't see them so I don't know if the are working or not. How would I check to see if the are moving. When I rebuild the carbs I made sure that they moved free.

Thanks for having an interest in trying to find the problem.

KEYSMAN
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by KEYSMAN »

Timing? Could the advancer be stuck?

real6
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by real6 »

So whatever happened here? Some of us are curious.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”