CBX Keys & Locks

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBX Keys & Locks

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!

I learned something and had a good time to boot. Ya see, I learned to key CBX locks. After that, I keyed all 4 of my CBXs to use the same key. Yep, the tank, helmet lock and the ignition on all 4 bikes uses the same key.

Huh....I hope I don't loose the key!

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Locks

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

Tom, One question- How or where did you come up with 12 identical cylinders??? Fill us in Thanks

I quess the biggest question now is-which one to ride ??
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

12 Cylinders

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

Dave,

The cylinders are the same...what I mean is that all tank lock cylinders are the same. All helmet lock cylinders are the same, and you guessed it, all ignition cylinders are all the same.

What makes the same key fit all of them are the interchangable "plates" that slide into each cylinder. You can see a picture of a lock cylinder at the following link. It also shows the small plates that need to be changed to "rekey" the cylinder.

http://www.drivewerks.com/tech/mult_lock_rekey.htm

When I started, I had 13 helmet locks, 8 gas tank locks and 8 ignition locks. I only destroyed one ignition switch and it was the first one I took apart to "understand" how to do it. Even at that, I only messed up the chrome cover, I salvaged all the internal parts.

I would like to write this up for the Express, but it might get too long because it will need a lot of pictures.

Sometimes, I enjoy working and learning about my CBXs as much as riding them.......nah!

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

ALL KEYED UP !!!

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

Tom.

Excellent article on rekeying locks. I knew it can be done but until now I was uninformed as to the details. My 80 X had a key code 2 numbers away from the code on the 79 that I traded in April for my 72 Kaw 500. I was always sticking the wrong key in whatever one I was on.

Thanks for passing on the info. I have copied it for future ref.
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”