Exporting to Canada

Cool Blue North
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Exporting to Canada

Post by Cool Blue North »

I've imported a vintage car in to Canada from the U.S. A vintage bike should be the same. Basically if it's evident that the bike is 15 model years old or older you don't have to worry about Emissions, safety standards, duty etc... The important thing is that the bike has to have a proper "Title". This is not to be confused with registration which is all we have here in Canada. I bought a vintage car that had no title and we had to apply for a "Bonded Title" from a Surety Bond Company. That means that, if someone came out of the woodwork to lay claim to the vehicle and it was gone to Canada, the Surety Bond company would pay them off. I bought my vehicle from a relative and he got the title, it might have been a big hassle dealing with a stranger. Canadian Customs doesn't care about the title but US Customs won't let the vehicle out of the US without one. If you show up at the border with a valid title and bill of sale and gave them 3 days notice you should be OK. At Canadian Customs you'll have to pay GST on the purchase price in Canadian dollars and if they think your B.S'ing them they'll arbitrarily set their own value. When you get home you'll have to get an Out of Province Inspection done to register it, after that you're home free. The important thing to remember is the almighty title. Hope this helps.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”