Alloy Fuel Tanks

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Alloy Fuel Tanks

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Here are some pics of Herman's CBX with a nice polished alloy fuel tank said to be sourced from a CB1100R. These tanks are available from TRex Racing in Heidelburg Victoria and I understand Harris in the UK also produced replicas that occasionally come up second hand.

The standard front tank locating rubber spindles have to be moved onto the top frame tube 75 mm behind the steering head and the rear 14 mm bolt hole has to be relocated onto a flat brace set back 135 mm from the existing brace at the base of the top frame tube. This changes it from a horizontal bolt to a vertical bolt and moves it back a bit, providing a larger tank capacity. (see pics)

Moving the weight back is no good for racing but is insignificant for street use, so it is a fairly nice and simple mod to dress up a CBX and improve fuel range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Alloy Fuel Tanks

Post by Warwick Biggs »

The bolt brace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

That looks super spiffy, for sure. I wasn't able to find any kind of online presence for this business but it looks like it's these guys:

T-Rex Racing Developments
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The original CB1100R tank has baffles inside. Most replicas, including the Harris, do not. I must have had about 8 or 10 R tanks, original and replicas over the years that I bought and sold. Still have one RD back-up for my bike.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Yes Phil, correct.

I did not know that the original tank was baffled but it is not surprising given the large capacity. It was obviously designed for the longer endurance proddy races that were so popular during that era. If only we could bring them back. Contemporary historic races are so short partly because the hotrods and replicas will not last 6 hours but mainly because there are too many classes to accommodate.

Personally, I do not class bikes built after the end of the air cooled era as historic but they are the most populated grids and I'm on a hiding to no-where on that one. Witness the hordes of LC's and CB250 RR's.

EMS, do you know whether the CB1100R tanks were plumbed to suit right hand circuits as fuel ran low? With the CBX tank the petcock is on the left and the central hump in the tank leads to fuel starvation when the bike is constantly leaning to the right once the level drops below a 2-3 gallons.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”