82 doesn't start

oldbikerdude
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

82 doesn't start

Post by oldbikerdude »

The other day was going to take the CBX to a bike meet in Stratford, tried to start the bike, starter wouldn't engage.
No problem. I'll address the no start tomorrow and take the 86 GW to the bike meet.
The next day, I tried to start the bike again, all lights come on, so I know the solenoid is good, bike won't turn over, no power to the starter.
Got the Honda manual for a few ideas on what to check.
Sitting at my desk going through the manual, I'm thinking wth could it be, a loose wire to the starter, or what?
After 1/2 hr going through the manual and dreading potential disassembly to find the culprit, it dons on me to ask,
Is the shifter in neutral?
Yup, that's what it was.
My excuse is that it is stinking hot and humid outside and my brain went for an extended nap.
Laughing about it now.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 82 doesn't start

Post by daves79x »

If the bike was in gear, you would have to pull the clutch in to start. If the starter still wouldn't turn, then your clutch switch is bad. Oh - all lights coming on has nothing to do with the solenoid being good or bad. Power to the bike just jumps off of the one post.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Welcome to my world, dude!!! Isn't it 'fun'?!!? Amazing all the things I keep' learning'. Have to start writing myself a start-up check list. Other little things like 'open the fuel petcock', etc.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Don't know about the rest of you, but as I've entered the Metallic Years, I find I don't function as well in heat as I once did. And you might ask, what are the Metallic Years? Why, that's when we have gold in our teeth, silver in our hair, and lead in our ass.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000FAN »

Rick Pope wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:59 am
Don't know about the rest of you, but as I've entered the Metallic Years, I find I don't function as well in heat as I once did. And you might ask, what are the Metallic Years? Why, that's when we have gold in our teeth, silver in our hair, and lead in our ass.
LOL.... excellent!! :laughing-rolling:

oldbikerdude
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by oldbikerdude »

Dave, I always start the bike with it in Neutral and me not on the bike before I head out for a ride, so never thought to sit on it and pull the clutch lever.
Rick, I think the Metallic years have hit me here as well.
By the way, the bike starts and runs like a charm, especially when it's in Neutral.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Most bikes in the remotely modern era have a clutch interlock that allows starting when in gear and the clutch pulled in. Say you stall at a light, just pull in the clutch, push the starter and go, without having to search for neutral.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

CBX1000FAN wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:03 pm
Rick Pope wrote:
And titanium for your joints!

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:01 pm
CBX1000FAN wrote:
Rick Pope wrote:
But less “lead in your pencil “perhaps

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Artie wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:52 am
Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:01 pm
CBX1000FAN wrote:

But less “lead in your pencil “perhaps
You peeked....
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”