Honda Parts

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Honda Parts

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

Here's one for the parts experts. If I have two part numbers from different year bikes such as....

22116-MA2-000 and 22116-422-000

Are they the same? I think they are because they have the same first 5 digits that are identical. Who can verify this?

This is a job for Miiiiiikkkkeee Nixon the Honda guru!!!!

Rich Pleines

Post by Rich Pleines »

Tom, The following was taken without permission off the www.cbxman site. I am no CBX Guru however I know how to cut and paste with the best of them. I still dion't know the answer for sure but I am positive you can figure it out using the following info. 8)

What is a product code you ask?

Well Honda has a great way of dealing with part identification, and it basically works like this: all Honda part numbers come in three sections example: 91029-357-004. The first set of numbers are really the part number, the second set of numbers tells which model the PART WAS ORIGINALLY INTRODUCED ON, and the third set usually tells what "generation", color or improvement number.

For example, 357 tells me this part originally was for a 1973-74 CR250M motorcycle. 004 usually means that this is the fourth improvement on this part. that last set of numbers can also look like this: 000 means first production, 101, means second, 020 means third and so on, get it?

So what is a 91029-357-004?

Well its the bearing that supports the clutch basket on the mainshaft. Does 357 mean that this part will only fit on the 73-74 CR250M? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! This part can be used on MT250's, MR250's and other too. Be warned, that this part may be used on MANY APPLICATIONS!!.

The best way to find out this info is to give the part number to a cool honda dealer who will run the parts for you, giving its blanket coverage. The numbers below are the MIDDLE NUMBERS of the 3 section part number.

All parts on a Honda motorcycle have a unique part number. Honda divides parts into two broad categories, General Parts and Standard Parts. General parts are those unique to Honda, such as valves, pistons, gas tank etc. Standard parts are parts that follow universal standards, such as nuts, bolts and such.

Note that some pretty universal parts are still listed under General Parts number. For example most (all?) TL oil seals carry a general parts number. Luckily Honda parts fiche lists the actual dimensions for parts like this.

General parts have a part number divided into 3 sections, such as 22201-166-000 (clutch friction plate for the TL125).

• The first string of digits (22201-XXX-XXX) indicates the Honda function and component number for this part. For example, there are several different part numbers for the TL clutch friction plate, all sharing funtion/component number 22201. Clutch steel plates have f/c code 22311, indicating same function but different component.

• The second string of digits (XXXXX-166-XXX) is the product code, also known as Parts Classification Number in hondaspeak. This is the number that indicates the product (motorcycle) where this particular part was first used. See below for a complete listing of older Honda product codes. 166 indicates that the TL clutch friction plates where first used in Honda MB5 motorcycle. Honda often lists several different part numbers for the same part, indicating slight differences in the part, such as different supplier etc. For example there are four different part numbers listed for the clutch friction plates.

All TL125 models (1973 K, 1974 K1, 1975 K2 and 1976 S) share the product code 355. All General parts having a different product code are "recycled" from other Honda models. Only parts with code 355 were originally designed for the TL125, but may have been used in later Honda models. The product code is probably the most interesting portion of the part number when trying to determine interchangeability of Honda parts between various models.

• The third string of digits (XXXXX-XXX-000) is the Classification Number. I believe it is mostly used to indicate various suppliers or improvements for the same part. Also any potential color code is tacked at the end of the classification number as digits (letters) 4 & 5.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”