jackstand suggestions

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

jackstand suggestions

Post by 7mmBR »

Hi I don't have the luxury of a real shop with a lift. Seems I am not strong enough to even put my 82 on centrestand by myself. Are any of the lighter duty lift stands suitable for CBX? I only plan for pretty much basic maintenance at this point but even a few inches of level lift would really help. Wondering if I can improvise to lift it at all without tipping it over? Out of the question with centrestand folded?!
Thanks in advance

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: jackstand suggestions

Post by EMS »

The problem with any separate lift/stand is the exhaust. It will basically be in the way to put a stand under the bike.
You can get yourself one of the mobile wheel chocks, put the front wheel in and somehow strap the bike down. In order to move the rear wheel when the bike is locked in, get one of the cheap roller stand that go under the tire.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

On a side note, I couldn't get my '82 on the center stand either. I changed the rear tire from a 130/80 to the correct 130/90 and I now can pop it right up on the center stand. The correct rear tire makes a huge difference in getting it on the center stand.

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Thank you, I'm thinking I could secure the chock to a bit of a platform even if just like a small pallet, then use a stable floor jack (e.g. 3 ton size) to jack the folded centre stand; that would give me level and a bit of height, especially as my garage floor has a real slope to it. At least for changing oil and bending the back less while tinkering. Sound feasible? Might not be able to get front wheel up much of a platform without help, maybe something low.

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Thanks a bunch hondaman160, mine is 130/80! Hung up my 750F in '89 and got my next bike yesterday, the 82, so I thought it was just more age and bike weight! Tire is new but a "noted to file" to get 130/90 if and when next time.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Put a couple of pieces of wood where you want the tires to rest. Roll the bike up and deploy the center stand. Now it's the same as having taller tires. I would think some 1/2" plywood would do.

Beware.... You mention your garage floor has slope. Applying the front brake with the tire on a board may get interesting.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Great suggestions thanks and yes I'll use a bit of rubber to keep base from slipping, as I do with car ramps in there

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Yes, you will be quite surprised the difference the tire size makes. If I remember correctly, it is only 1/2 or 5/8 inch difference. Amazing difference, though. Been there! Also, if you're dealing with a pro-link, remove the bags, first. Makes a bit of difference in how you leverage things; and, the bit of rear weight.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Yes, that was it. 1.25 " platform under rear wheel and I deployed the centre stand myself; thanks guys

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The upshot of all this is just further testimony to what many of us have been saying for years - stick with the correct tire size!!

Dave

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

deleted

Post by 7mmBR »

deleted my comment, not useful
Last edited by 7mmBR on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I know this is pretty obvious, but many folks never noticed..... press down on the center stand tang with your foot while pulling back on the bars with your left hand, lifting the rear grab handle with your right hand. Many bikes can be put on the center stand hands free just by pressing down with your foot. Oh course, I can push down harder than most..... :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”