Mounting an '82 grab bar on an '81 tail cowl

MontereyMadness

Mounting an '82 grab bar on an '81 tail cowl

Post by MontereyMadness »

I'm looking for the measurements to drill the holes in an '81 tail cowl so I can mount an '82 grab bar. Post and/or send to grahlman@pacbell.net Thanks!

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Grab rail

Post by Dave Ditner »

You need frame brackets, which if I remember right are welded to the frame, the grab handle is not just bolted to the tailpiece. :( :( :( :(

If you have the brackets, let me knwoa nd I'll pull my seat and get the dimensions for you. There are also 4 special long collar nuts that go onto studs on the brackets with two different threads on them, one large for the brakced studs and one smaller for the allen screws that hold the rail on.
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

I'd be sure to get all of the parts together (including the rubber grommets) before I did any drilling. Some may be hard to get ahold of.

:wink:

Jeff Dean
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jeff Dean »

I think the triangle brackets are bolted on, with a spacer tacked on to the frame ( ok, its been a while) plus, check the studs on that piece, they WILL get weak. If I had things apart, I'd go take a measurement. Remember, measure twice, cut once.

And, I think the rubber piece on the grabrail might not be available from H. Plus, Its a pain in the arse to remove the seat from then on..... bolts everywhere, counted'em before, something like 14 !!

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”