fairing repair

82cbx

fairing repair

Post by 82cbx »

I discovered that brake fluid is deadly to the plastic that the fairing is made of. If anyone knows what the material the fairing is made of is called or what can be used to to repair it I would be really grateful to know. I've tried epoxy and it does not really stick good to the fairing material. Thanks for any information that might help. Warren

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

plastic repair

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

82cbx, you can buy plastic welding kits at your local automotive paint and body supply store, they consist of usually three different compound sticks that you melt into any gap or crack. If the fairings are like the early model bodywork then their ABS. if its just a crack then you need to widen the crack with a dremel tool before applying the compound for better penetration.

jb

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

fairing material

Post by Mike Nixon »

If memory serves, it's ABS (don't ask, I forgot but it's anhil butyl styrene or something or other...), and MEK (sigh...another acronym I haven't memorized...methyl ethel keytone, I think...) is commonly used to make small repairs. Dangerous stuff, MEK, a carcinogen and respiratory threat. The nasty thing about brake fluid and plastic is that the result is what is known as catalytic embrittlement. What this means is that no damage will appear for days, then suddenly a crack will form, because a chemical reaction has caused the material to become brittle.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”