Difficulty starting if stalled and warm when riding

guzzi1
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Difficulty starting if stalled and warm when riding

Post by guzzi1 »

My recently purchased (less than a year) 1981 is difficult to start if stalled when riding. Specifically it is difficult to turn over almost as if it locked up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bike has low miles and would like to restore to as close to original as possible.

Thanks in advance

Gary Pulcini

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

guzzi1,you may want to see about a new starter motor.......if it cranks normally when cold.

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

You might also try it with a known good battery. My 80 started doing that just before the battery failed. It would turn over OK in the mornings when cold but as it warmed up it got harder to turn over.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

the scientific way...

Post by Mike Nixon »

I agree--sounds like a starter. Should however determine which, battery or starter. Broook's suggestion is therefore very good. Go to the link below for a fuller explanation.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... shunt.html

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

:D Great article Mike. Got to hang on to that one. Electricity is a complete mystery to myself and I am sure many others, but explained like that it really simplifies things. :D

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”