footrest hangers

robsgreen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

footrest hangers

Post by robsgreen »

Hi Guys

Im rebuilding a CBX 1000 Z 1979 and have rebuilt the engine and Im now just putting it all back together. when I came to fit the footrest hanger plates, the upper locating hole which fits over the swinging arm shaft bolt is approx 17mm but the shaft about 15mm. The lower mounting hole on the plate matches the lower engine bolt diameter. does anyone know why the upper hole is a larger diameter than the swinging arm bolt? can i still use this plate? Also. looking at the drawing of the assembly, it shows washers on the outside of the mounting plates which go behind the nuts and bolt head, but nothing behind the mounting plates. When I offer the plates up to the frame, they appear to need a packing washer / spacer to get them to lie flat against the frame face. These are definately CBX1000 footrest hangers. I have a poor condition right handed plate which has a matching upper hole diameter to the swinging arm bolt. Have mine been modified? How can I get around this or do I have to go and get a used set of hangers?

Cheers

Martin

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: footrest hangers

Post by daves79x »

Martin: You have '80 footrests and they have the 16 mm hole for the swingarm pivot. You can use them just fine, but you did discover the other difference - slightly different where the back of the plate meets the frame. Looks like it should be shimmed a bit to fit the '79 frame. I think the swingarm pivot boss on the frame of the '80 necessitated this slight difference. You can shim it or force it tight, but be aware it will effect your exhaust mounting position and you may find you have to shim the plates a bit to get them to look even in the back. It's no big deal, but requires a bit of fiddling.

Dave

robsgreen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: footrest hangers

Post by robsgreen »

Hi Dave

thank you for you valued reply.

Never though about the exhausts and have purchased Dave Silver replicas to fit, but Im sure I can sort that easily enough with a bit of fiddling around. A 2 mm spacer /washer between the lower frame engine bolt and hanger plate seems to make the plate sit nicely against all three fixing points on the frame, what effect that will have on the exhaust will be interesting to see.

Thanks again

Martin

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”