Cracked Crankcase

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Cracked Crankcase

Post by alimey4u2 »

Andy has been doing a frame up resto & came across this, I've posted it on the UKCBXCLUB site but would like to get as many heads around this as possible. Right bottom engine mount...

Weldable or junk ?? Any ideas most welcome...

ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Cracked Crankcase

Post by EMS »

Weldable, imo. I welded the bell housing of a car transmission, which had a piece with one of the upper engine mounting bosses broken off. It is still running.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thats one for weldable...Thanks Mike... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Is the owner concerned about frame and engine numbers? If not, as plentiful as these cases are, I'd find a good used set. If he has to have the original cases, then I suppose a good welder can fix him up. I'd want to see the inside also before deciding what to do. How's that for straddling the fence?

Dave

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Dave, Andy was worried about removing the stuck engine support bolt. I told him, lets see how the main problem evolves. I spose it depends on the availability of a good set of cases. Then you have bearings to match to the crank etc.etc. Welding would be the cheapest option, I've told him to take time out as he is quite despondent at the moment & we'll go from there...
ICOA # 656

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

alimey4u2 wrote:Dave, Andy was worried about removing the stuck engine support bolt. I told him, lets see how the main problem evolves. I spose it depends on the availability of a good set of cases. Then you have bearings to match to the crank etc.etc. Welding would be the cheapest option, I've told him to take time out as he is quite despondent at the moment & we'll go from there...
This reminds me of the extraction of my lower. It was a right bastard to extract, and I ended up beating the end senseless (and useless) and replacing it with a spare from CBXMan before I was through.

Nothing loosened that up, not heat nor PBBlaster nor tapping nor time. The new one went in there fully greased, lemme tell ya.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

If the welder has any experience welding Honda cases from the 70's he knows about the poor quality of the aluminum Honda used, it is prone to blow out because of the impurities in the aluminum, if he dosen't know he will find out quickly.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks for that Jeff, I spose it's a case of the crankcase is shot in any case, worth a try I guess...
ICOA # 656

silversurfer1050
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by silversurfer1050 »

Any luck with the welding LB? I have a crack on my project CB750F I was considering doing a little welding on too.

Tx,
Bill
A woman at 20 is like ice, at 30 she is warm and at 40 she is hot.

(Gina Lollobrigida)

twinegar
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by twinegar »

I have been seeing empty cases selling for under $100 but I would hate to do the job. Any idea how it might have cracked?
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-MTRCCLSTF.html

"66CL160, 68CL125A, 68CL450, 69CL125A, 69CB750, 71CB450, 71CB500, 71CB750, 72CB350F, 72CB750, 74CB750, 75CL360, 75CB550, 75CB750, 76CB750, 79CB750, 79CBX, 79CBX, 80CBX, 82CB750, 84VF700S 05HDSPORTSTER1200ROADSTER"

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”