A Little help please... CBX 750 BOL D'OR 18" COMSTAR REAR

arch stanton
New Member & Happy To Be Here

A Little help please... CBX 750 BOL D'OR 18" COMSTAR REAR

Post by arch stanton »

Can anyone help me with this please?

As far as i can gather from the many posts regarding upgrades for the CBX1000, The easiest wheels to use are from the CB1100R and the VF1000 !?

Are they all the same though? Or is the hub on the cb1100 different to the hub on the vf1000? I ask because................

This Gent's is a, European CBX 750 BOL D'OR 18" x 3.00 COMSTAR REAR WHEEL ( it looks the same ). So before i go out and buy the hub and disc for it..... Can anyone tell me will this fit my 1979 cbx1000z,( I wish to keep the standard brakes) .

I am aware the front wheel from this bike is the wrong size so, is the vf1000 front wheel the one to go for if i wish to use the standard discs.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks Arch

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: A Little help please... CBX 750 BOL D'OR 18" COMSTAR REA

Post by EMS »

This CBX750 Black Boomerang Comstar will fit the 79 CBX without a problem. You should be able to use the drive hub and brake rotor from your 79CBX
I am not exactly sure about the VF1000 wheels. Never used one of them. And I am also not sure whether the Euro VF1000 had the same wheels as the one in the U.S.
You may have to look for a 18 inch silver Boomerang front wheel and have it painted or powdercoated black
The easiest conversion is to CB1100F or R gold Boomerang front (18") and CB1100R gold Boomerang rear (18x3.00). The wheels will match, the sizes are not too far off and all the attachments bolt on. Many people do not like the gold color and R wheels are a little harder to find. The 17" gold Boomerang rear from the F model would be an alternative.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The drive hub is smaller on the VF wheels - so you'd need everything. Also would need the VF rotor/caliper/hanger. Also might need the sprocket side axle spacer from the VF or CB.

Dave

Towerguy

Post by Towerguy »

Wow, cool username Mr. Stanton!

Everything I have seen suggests that Euro VF1000F rims came in two flavors, both of them black boomerangs. The first model is basically like the US model with the exception of using the boomerang wheels instead of cast wheel. The sizes were 16" front(unsure the width as I really didn't care about the 16" wheel) and a 17x3.5 rear. The second model was called the Honda VF 1000FS Bol D’or and used a full fairing and came equipped with a 18x2.5 front and a 17x3.5 rear. I have one of the front wheels. Unlike other 18' boomerangs, the front discs mount the same as the US CB1100F and the US Interceptors.
David Frost

1980 Black CBX
1980 Black CBX (Project bike-in pieces)
1987 Yamaha FZR750R
2000 Honda XR650R
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 (Owned since high school)

arch stanton

Post by arch stanton »

Sorry for the delay in replying gents.

Well I bought the wheel and nothing from the cbx6 fits, not even close the hub is indeed allot smaller and the disc isn’t even close. Having read lots on the subject, it looked like it was going to be as easy as swapping everything over If i bought the right wheels but sadly not. I'm really not sure I want to start messing around with other hubs, discs and sprockets as any parts I wish to try, would have to buy as trial and error. There seem to be many variations of fitting even on wheels that look the same.
So I think for the moment I'll putt up with what I have.

Many Thanks for your advice Gents

Arch

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”