Fat Tires on CBX

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Fat Tires on CBX

Post by Syscrush »

Hey folks.

It's no secret that the CBX has a really wide motor. Since deciding to get one for myself, I've thought that some wide tires would look good with that wide motor.

I know that this is not good for performance/handling. I have a lot of respect for the folks who modify their old bikes for performance and/or racing, but I bought a CBX for style, period.

I have a few ideas, but at this point I'm really just looking for inspiration. Does anyone have pointers to CBX's with rear tires in 200+ sizes and/or front tires in 160+ sizes? I think that a 240 rear & 160 front would look amazing on one of these bikes
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Fat Tires on CBX

Post by EMS »

You will have to address the swingarm, of course, which allows only a certain width tire to fit without rubbing. One of the problems I found is, more modern swingarms that allow wider tires also have a wider mounting section which will not fit between the frame. Machining will be necessary and this can only be done within limits.
Once you have solved that problem, the next hurdle is making the chain run true. You will need an offset countersprocket. This also has its limitations because of the load on the output shaft bearing. The ideal thing would be to move the whole motor a certain amount to the left. Nothing is impossible.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Wow. Looks like a 330 on a custom swingarm, presumably using a jackshaft. Any info on where that pic came from?

I don't want to use a jackshaft, the biggest rear tires I'm seeing on single-chain setups is a 240, which I think would look right at home on the back of a CBX. The options I have in mind for the rear are:

1. VFR swingarm with 18" car wheel. This would require frame mods for the swap to a monoshock, but the wheel and swingarm are a lot cheaper than other options. I'm of 2 minds about going to SSSA - at first I really wanted to do it, but the looks of the twin-shock bike have really grown on me.

2. ZX14 swingarm modified to fit, using this 240 wide tire kit from Roaring Toyz. It uses a weldup rear wheel and offset sprocket. I actually like how the ZX14 wheels look (although I hate the bike) and the swingarm would not look out of place on a CBX. Also, the forks might be good for the front since the ZX is pretty close to the CBX in weight and size.

3. Weldup or laced wheel fitted to modified CBX or custom swingarm.

For the front, it pretty much has to be a weldup or laced wheel. Setups that use rear wheels fitted to the front never look right to me, and there's so much custom work required to fit rotors & mount the wheel I'm not sure you even save anything vs. just getting a front wheel widened. So I'd be looking at custom triples, axle, spacers, & a USD conversion in any case, plus one of the following for a wheel:

1. Widened Buell XB wheel with the perimeter brake. (Would look good with the car wheel in the back). As an added twist, Alpina makes a laced wheel for the Buell XB bikes, but only in the stock width. Buying aftermarket plus having it widened would blast the cost into orbit but it would look cool.

2. Widened ZX14 wheel. (Would look good with a widened ZX14 wheel in the back).

3. Custom laced setup with a front hub and wider hoop meant for the rear. (Would look good with a laced rear).

Thanks,
Phil.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

From an online buddy of mine - this is kind of inspirational:

Like I said, I'd prefer to stick with the twin shock setup, but that does look pretty rad.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”