Boomerang Wheels

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Boomerang Wheels

Post by Don »

Just a heads up for anyone interested as to what I tried and how it worked out

I bought an '82 CX500TC 18 X 2.5 Gold Boomerang along with the speedo drive. I mounted a pair of 900F rotors to it and it's a drop-in fit for a CBX. Mine has the 39mm ProLink forks with 900F dual piston calipers

I got the wheel very cheaply because it was in poor shape after sitting outside for several years, but I wanted to powdercoat it black anyway, so that didn't matter much . . . . just lots of work cleaning it up prior to sending it to the coater. Turned out beautiful

Not as much in weight savings as I had hoped though. The boomerang with the 900F rotors and a new tire weighs 30 pounds - The 1100F wheel and rotors it replaced was 32 pounds with a worn tire, so maybe a 10% (3 pound) or so reduction. Not sure what a stock early model CBX front wheel with tire and rotors weighs . . . . anyone know?

I already had a factory black anodized Euro market VF1000F rear boomerang (17 X 3.5) and my powder guy made the front an excellent match to the brand new rear. They both look very nice. A stock 1100F rotor fit the rear and a stateside VF1000 hub and cush drives did as well. It replaced the 1100F rear wheel previously on my CBX and the 1100F axle and all the spacers and brake hardware fit as well - A true 'bolt on' change

Don

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Boomerang Wheels

Post by Rick Pope »

The only thing better than pictures would be to see it in person. Wish I could make it to the Brookville rally. :(
Last edited by Rick Pope on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I'll get some pictures in a couple of weeks Rick - I'm (actually, Dave) is putting some chrome parts on the engine and the new stainless headers on my Pipemasters. Pictures after that ;)

Brookville isn't that far - Saddle up the Volvo and come join us for the weekend!! ;)

Don

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Don wrote:Brookville isn't that far - Saddle up the Volvo and come join us for the weekend!! ;)

Don
It isn't a matter of distance, but rather timing. We'll be pick'n corn by then.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick Pope wrote:
It isn't a matter of distance, but rather timing. We'll be pick'n corn by then.
I would love to have some freshly picked corn.... 8) 8)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

This is the grain type corn, such as used for animal feed or making chips, corn oil, or corn based sweeteners. It'll be long hours from now until Thanksgiving......
Rick Pope

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Heres a pic of Ian's 79 with a VF1000F rear rim on a CB1100F swingarm and a CB1100F front rim. I painted the rims all black, polished the lips on them and they matched very well, thats Pat Matachione syncing the carbs and me behind the camera in my shop at home, the second pic is of Ian and Bob picking up the bike. I rebuilt a complete set of VF1000F calipers and another set of twin piston calipers, I located everything for a complete conversion but the smaller VF1000F rear rotor but like Don mentioned the CB1100F rotor and hanger will work until Ian can find the VF1000F rotor.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”