Tire Size

koffey25
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Tire Size

Post by koffey25 »

I am sure you all get his alot but I am new to the CBX clan and am looking for some guidance. What is the widest rear tire that will fit on stock 79 cbx....both front and rear? I know alot of guys go with the swing arm conversion and front forks but looking for cheaper options for now.

Thanks

Koffey

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

With a stock set-up a 100/90-19 and a 130/80-18 combo has worked well for me, Koffey.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Koffey,

First a little disclaimer: I am NOT an engineer, so this just an opinion.

The stock CBX swingarm is not a strudy piece. It may be prone to twisting when cornering aggressively. A wider tire will only make matters worse as it moves the forces farther from the centerline as we lean farther. So, unless you are riding hard enough to run out of traction, a narrower tire will handle better.

However, if the change is mostly cosmetic, go for as wide a tire as will fit. Just realize that the bike wasn't designed for that tire.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

A stock '79 rear wheel is only 2.15 inches wide and 'technically' a 130 tire is already too big for such a narrow rim. If you want a 140 or 150 rear tire, you'll need a 3 to 4 inch wide wheel . . . . but as Rick mentioned, it's probably not a good idea to go that big if you still have the flimsy stock swingarm

Check the tire manufacturer's website for their recommendations on tire sizes/recommended rim widths before you buy something that won't properly fit your wheel

I'm not an engineer either . . . . just passing along the wisdom of those who have gone before ;)

Don

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”