widest front rim in prolink front end ?

paxo
New Member & Happy To Be Here

widest front rim in prolink front end ?

Post by paxo »

Anyone know if a 3.5" wide front rim would fit ok inside a prolink front end ? cheers

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Pretty sure the rim would fit OK so long as you don't have any issues with the brakes or the tire. The usual tire is either a 100 or a 110, which is 4 inches or more wide, so something only 3.5 inches shouldn't be obstructed in any way. Fitting an appropriate sized tire on your super wide rim may present problems though . . . . and getting brake rotors to line up could be an issue as well

Why so big??

Don

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Also a tight spot would be the front mudguard/fender bolts. I had an idea of actually mounting the mudguard/fender to a fork brace. This would make the stock mounting obsolete & allow added clearance ........ :idea:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

alimey4u2 wrote:Also a tight spot would be the front mudguard/fender bolts. I had an idea of actually mounting the mudguard/fender to a fork brace. This would make the stock mounting obsolete & allow added clearance ........ :idea:
That's exactly what I was thinking. Sometimes even with the stock wheel, depending on what tire you are running, it is difficult to remove the wheel without removing the fender mounting bolts first.

paxo

Post by paxo »

cheers folks, i have the chance of some 18" classic Dymags and the front is 3.5" wide

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

paxo wrote:cheers folks, i have the chance of some 18" classic Dymags and the front is 3.5" wide
Unless they have been recently inspected, steer clear of them or if you don't know the provenance. Dymag insisted on inspection every 10 years due to the possibility of the magnesium degrading. I had mine done last spring...

That's my advice, others may disagree but I was in close contact with Steve Turner at Dymag over this issue...
ICOA # 656

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

CBR600F3 (1995-98) rotors are the same dia as prolink, I've done two conversions on a prolink, You have to change the bearings and make spacers. It's 3.5X17. If you're concerned about groundclearance get fork tubwes 1.5" longer then stock from Forks by Frank. Around $250. On one I used a fork brace and mounted a Yamaha FZR600 fender to the bottom of the brace. The stock fender looks really funny. Way too large. I'd post a pic but I'm on the road.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

The front uses the wheel I mentioned. The bike has CBR900RR calipers but the stock prolink one's work great. The fender came from airtech and the bolts holding it on have been shaved down and need to be removed for wheel removal. The forks are stock length but it has clipons under the fork clamp and the tubes are slid down to compensate.

The rear wheel is 95-98 CBR600RR 5.0X17. It's easier to fit 91-94 CBR600RR 4.5X17 on the prolink swingarm. To fit the 5" I had to remove the inside arm on the linkage and reinforce the linkage. The 4.5 fits without that work but then you're not using a prolink swingarm. The rear axle dia is the same as the CBX. I flipped the countershaft sprocket over so the teeth are on the outside and the rear sprocket is offset to the inside. Had to modify some spacers and it went together pretty easy.

If American vernacular is difficult to understand, Larry (alimey4u2) did years over here and learned the language pretty good. He can translate :D

and here's the same bike at Daytona a few years earlier

one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The bike looks great, George.
A small hi-jack. Any chance you have a pic or dimensions of the caliper mount brackets.
I know you are on the road and i work very slowly, so....whenever. Thanks.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”