Wider Rear Tire

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Wider Rear Tire

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

Any one have any recomendations regarding a wider rear tire on an 81 prolink?

Do any suppliers or shops build a swing arm to accomadate a wide tire and wheel?

Maybe as wide as a 240?

I've heard if you use a 240 rear, the front wheel needs modified also and probably will need a dual chain drive at the rear. Has anyone tried this type of layout and was it a road worthy configuration?

What's the widith limits within the scope of a single chain drive and modified stock swing arm?

Thanks, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Even this guy's only running a 190... :? That's what my Hayabusa has. Are you having dreams of ill handling cruisers lately? :P

Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Sat May 08, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaned up HTML for PHPBB3
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Not savvy on the Prolink George but over the years I have gone with different tire setups & found the skinny front with a wide rear to be detrimental to handling... Only when I have returned to a reasonable setup has my handling improved.
Word of advice, very wide rear tires look cool but unless you are widening the front ( impossible with the standard forks) keep things reasonable...
ICOA # 656

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Wider Rear Tire

Post by Spoke »

George R. Garrison #0857 wrote:Any one have any recomendations regarding a wider rear tire on an 81 prolink?

Do any suppliers or shops build a swing arm to accomadate a wide tire and wheel?

Maybe as wide as a 240?

I've heard if you use a 240 rear, the front wheel needs modified also and probably will need a dual chain drive at the rear. Has anyone tried this type of layout and was it a road worthy configuration?

What's the widith limits within the scope of a single chain drive and modified stock swing arm?

I'd like to repeat George's question on this, I have changed both my wheels (& forks) for Harley solids, although the front looks great I too really need a conversion for an '81 Pro-Link to take a 240+

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Unless you want a really ill-handling bike or you just want to go fast for 1/4 mile straight, you probably should not exceed a 160 in the rear on a conventional chassis geometry CBX. I have two sets of wheels for my Ducati 916 and when I take it to the track, I run a 180 in the back instead of the 200 for the street. The difference is unbelievable. Now, you have a CBX-chopper, spoke, I understand, and this is an exception. Handling is not a priority I take it, so anything is allowed, however, I still think a 240 will not fit into a CBX swingarm of any kind. The front part will be too narrow.
Last edited by EMS on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spoke »

It certainly is starting to look like a chopper,
I'm quite pleased with how the front end & artwork has come out.....

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Looking good.... 8) 8)
ICOA # 656

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

EMS wrote:Unless you want a really ill-handling bike or you just want to go fast for 1/4 mile straight, you probably should not exceed a 160 in the rear on a conventional chassis geometry CBX
This thread reminds me of hundreds of similar discussions over on Miata Forum over the past 10 or 12 years Mike

Take my word for it, there's a segment of the population who doesn't give a darn if it's even safe to move in a straight line - They're going for a certain 'look' and when they get it, they'll figure out some way to ride it . . . . and then likely they'll be back here posting about how much better it handles than a stocker ;)

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don wrote:
EMS wrote:Unless you want a really ill-handling bike or you just want to go fast for 1/4 mile straight, you probably should not exceed a 160 in the rear on a conventional chassis geometry CBX
This thread reminds me of hundreds of similar discussions over on Miata Forum over the past 10 or 12 years Mike

Take my word for it, there's a segment of the population who doesn't give a darn if it's even safe to move in a straight line - They're going for a certain 'look' and when they get it, they'll figure out some way to ride it . . . . and then likely they'll be back here posting about how much better it handles than a stocker ;)

Don
You are probably right, Don! What can you do :? :? :?:

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spoke »

[quote=]
Take my word for it, there's a segment of the population who doesn't give a darn if it's even safe to move in a straight line -
[/quote]

Yep, that's me.
I also ride a '72 Kawasaki 750H2 :lol:
I actually believe you can get used to the feel of most things once you have traversed the learning curve of their peculiarities.

It could also be said that bikes capable of fantastic handling & performance are sometimes beyond their riders.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Spoke wrote:It could also be said that bikes capable of fantastic handling & performance are sometimes beyond skill of their riders.
Frequently! ;)

Don

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Wider Rear Tire

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

George R. Garrison #0857 wrote:Any one have any recomendations regarding a wider rear tire on an 81 prolink?

Maybe as wide as a 240?

Hi George

1. There are hundreds of companies that can do this type of work for you. This company is starting to make a ZRX-1200 arm/240 kit that will bolt right on the CBX. Call and ask for Brad 941-953-4423. http://www.roaringtoyz.com/WideTireKits.html

2. There is no need to speculate on how 240 or 320 rear tires effect bikes since if this was the path to great handling all sport bikes would have these tires, but I am sure with your background you already realize this. Specific handling clues are out for you to check out now since Victory already makes a bike with a 250 rear tire....the Victory Jackpot which you can check the video road test report on the link below or at your option take out for a demo ride at your local dealer and get back to us with how it all worked out. Sure the Victory Jackpot has no ground clearance nor is a CBX with a 240 kit...but this will give you a general idea of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE3RkloXWV0
Video comparison test....comments on Victory 250 rear tire handles appear in first 2 minutes.

3. Sooooo.... I encourage you to take your time....do your due diligence....and give it a go if this is what you decide to do........heck why not?

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

bbqb4racin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bbqb4racin »

Mike, was it you that called the shop today (Roaring Toyz)? Someone called from PA asking about a custom 240 arm today. Yes, we should be road testing the ZRX 1200 w/240 arm tommorrow. It looks sweet! I've seen the stock Kawi arm used on the CBX before so our arm should be quite adaptable to the CBX. Rick

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

bbqb4racin wrote:Mike, was it you that called the shop today (Roaring Toyz)? Someone called from PA asking about a custom 240 arm today. Yes, we should be road testing the ZRX 1200 w/240 arm tommorrow. It looks sweet! I've seen the stock Kawi arm used on the CBX before so our arm should be quite adaptable to the CBX. Rick
Hi Rick

Guility............I was hoping to locate a source for George to talk to...no way was I expecting such a welcome and help. Thanks

You guys really make some amazing stuff......great website also.

Good job and thanks again.

Small world indeed

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Spoke wrote:It could also be said that bikes capable of fantastic handling & performance are sometimes beyond their riders.
Dangit, will you guys stop talking about me.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”