Wider Rear Tire

Douglas
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Douglas »

Don wrote:
EMS wrote:Unless you want a really ill-handling bike or you just want to go fast for 1/4 mile straight, you probably should not exceed a 160 in the rear on a conventional chassis geometry CBX
This thread reminds me of hundreds of similar discussions over on Miata Forum over the past 10 or 12 years Mike

Take my word for it, there's a segment of the population who doesn't give a darn if it's even safe to move in a straight line - They're going for a certain 'look' and when they get it, they'll figure out some way to ride it . . . . and then likely they'll be back here posting about how much better it handles than a stocker ;)

Don
hey-Hey!!!,
I don't think it'll take more than what will comfortably fit onto the stock rims to drag the hard bits into the pavement. That said...:) I went up to 3.5 x 18 so I could mount a 140/70-18 K591 on my '82. Worked well enough Mark did the same thing to his '79. Wish I could have found a matching three spoke for the front for the same sort of green. Turned out the greatest benefit came from the lighter VFR wheel, not its greater width and tire choice.
cheers,
Douglas

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

bbqb4racin wrote: Yes, we should be road testing the ZRX 1200 w/240 arm tommorrow. It looks sweet! I've seen the stock Kawi arm used on the CBX before so our arm should be quite adaptable to the CBX. Rick
You mean like this one? I did a ZRX conversion 4 years ago and I run a 160 on it, 180 would be the largest tire I would use on my 79 CBX and that would only be after the frame was reinforced and at least the 39mm 81/82 forks were fitted.

It is far from a direct bolt on, it takes a custom spacer, sleeve for the swingarm mounting bolt, machining, welding and shock mounts.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

bbqb4racin wrote:Mike, was it you that called the shop today (Roaring Toyz)? Someone called from PA asking about a custom 240 arm today. Yes, we should be road testing the ZRX 1200 w/240 arm tommorrow. It looks sweet! I've seen the stock Kawi arm used on the CBX before so our arm should be quite adaptable to the CBX. Rick
Rick,
If you can divulge, how are they handling the wider width of the shock mount on the ZRX s/arm to the more narrow width of the CBX upper shock mount.
I am intrested in this swap but with a reasonable rim size.
Thanks for any info.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Big Wheel on 81 SuperSport

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

Guys, I started this thing, and its done very well without me.

I must confess that I've done nothing yet regarding the recommendations.

I do appreciate all the input and will start to assemble the needed stock soon.

(1) In the mean time, I've accomplished major work inside the house (114 year old house's are a challenge)

(2) Replaced most of the hoses and fluid tubing on a pair of Cummins Diesels V8's in my 47 foot Wooden Flushdeck Motoryacht

(3) Added a 2000 Ducati 748 to the fleet, and doing several upgrades to it including open clutch and fairing refinish.

I hope to post several photo's on the sight soon and do appreciate all the help and tips thus far.

Thanks, and Happy New Year to ALL.

Later, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

I have also done the ZRX 1200 conversion front and rear.Jeff I see that the swing arm has been reinforced on the sides of the swingarm and front support between both arms has been moved.Any pictures of the frame where the shocks bolt on at the top.I have some pixs here at aprox. page 12.Did you reinforce the frame at all?Thanks Mike

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

80 cbx dude #6216 wrote:I have also done the ZRX 1200 conversion front and rear.Jeff I see that the swing arm has been reinforced on the sides of the swingarm and front support between both arms has been moved.Any pictures of the frame where the shocks bolt on at the top.I have some pixs here at aprox. page 12.Did you reinforce the frame at all?Thanks Mike
PM me your phone #

jeff

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Wider Rear Tire

Post by Spoke »

Has anyone ever tried, or heard of anyone fitting a Gsxr swingarm to a Pro-link?
Just wondering if it would fit, so maybe a 160 or 180 tyre could be fitted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Wider Rear Tire

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

A lengthy thread but Mike used a GSXR swingarm.
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=7330

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”