Wider Rear Tire

Wider Rear Tire

Postby George R. Garrison #0857 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:54 pm

Any one have any recomendations regarding a wider rear tire on an 81 prolink?

Do any suppliers or shops build a swing arm to accomadate a wide tire and wheel?

Maybe as wide as a 240?

I've heard if you use a 240 rear, the front wheel needs modified also and probably will need a dual chain drive at the rear. Has anyone tried this type of layout and was it a road worthy configuration?

What's the widith limits within the scope of a single chain drive and modified stock swing arm?

Thanks, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.
George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member
 
Posts: 273
Images: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:56 am
Location: Delmar, Delaware USA

Postby Terry » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:06 am

Even this guy's only running a 190... :? That's what my Hayabusa has. Are you having dreams of ill handling cruisers lately? :P

Image
Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Sat May 08, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaned up HTML for PHPBB3
It ain't the destination, its the journey...
Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member
 
Posts: 2306
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Northern California, USA

Postby alimey4u2 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:46 am

Not savvy on the Prolink George but over the years I have gone with different tire setups & found the skinny front with a wide rear to be detrimental to handling... Only when I have returned to a reasonable setup has my handling improved.
Word of advice, very wide rear tires look cool but unless you are widening the front ( impossible with the standard forks) keep things reasonable...
ICOA # 656
User avatar
alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director
 
Posts: 5093
Images: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: Uphill, WsM, United Kingdom

Re: Wider Rear Tire

Postby Spoke » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:25 pm

George R. Garrison #0857 wrote:Any one have any recomendations regarding a wider rear tire on an 81 prolink?

Do any suppliers or shops build a swing arm to accomadate a wide tire and wheel?

Maybe as wide as a 240?

I've heard if you use a 240 rear, the front wheel needs modified also and probably will need a dual chain drive at the rear. Has anyone tried this type of layout and was it a road worthy configuration?

What's the widith limits within the scope of a single chain drive and modified stock swing arm?

Thanks, George in Delaware


I'd like to repeat George's question on this, I have changed both my wheels (& forks) for Harley solids, although the front looks great I too really need a conversion for an '81 Pro-Link to take a 240+
Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 7:43 pm
Location: UNITED KINGDOM

Postby EMS » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:11 am

Unless you want a really ill-handling bike or you just want to go fast for 1/4 mile straight, you probably should not exceed a 160 in the rear on a conventional chassis geometry CBX. I have two sets of wheels for my Ducati 916 and when I take it to the track, I run a 180 in the back instead of the 200 for the street. The difference is unbelievable. Now, you have a CBX-chopper, spoke, I understand, and this is an exception. Handling is not a priority I take it, so anything is allowed, however, I still think a 240 will not fit into a CBX swingarm of any kind. The front part will be too narrow.
Last edited by EMS on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be understood is the exception
To be misunderstood is the rule.
User avatar
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member
 
Posts: 9382
Images: 1707
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:55 am
Location: North East OH, ICOA 3904

Postby Spoke » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:40 pm

It certainly is starting to look like a chopper,
I'm quite pleased with how the front end & artwork has come out.....

Image
Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 7:43 pm
Location: UNITED KINGDOM

Postby alimey4u2 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:08 am

Looking good.... 8) 8)
ICOA # 656
User avatar
alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director
 
Posts: 5093
Images: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: Uphill, WsM, United Kingdom

Postby Don » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:08 pm

EMS wrote:Unless you want a really ill-handling bike or you just want to go fast for 1/4 mile straight, you probably should not exceed a 160 in the rear on a conventional chassis geometry CBX

This thread reminds me of hundreds of similar discussions over on Miata Forum over the past 10 or 12 years Mike

Take my word for it, there's a segment of the population who doesn't give a darn if it's even safe to move in a straight line - They're going for a certain 'look' and when they get it, they'll figure out some way to ride it . . . . and then likely they'll be back here posting about how much better it handles than a stocker ;)

Don
User avatar
Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster
 
Posts: 806
Images: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:13 pm
Location: Biloxi, Mississippi, USA

Postby EMS » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:22 am

Don wrote:
EMS wrote:Unless you want a really ill-handling bike or you just want to go fast for 1/4 mile straight, you probably should not exceed a 160 in the rear on a conventional chassis geometry CBX

This thread reminds me of hundreds of similar discussions over on Miata Forum over the past 10 or 12 years Mike

Take my word for it, there's a segment of the population who doesn't give a darn if it's even safe to move in a straight line - They're going for a certain 'look' and when they get it, they'll figure out some way to ride it . . . . and then likely they'll be back here posting about how much better it handles than a stocker ;)

Don


You are probably right, Don! What can you do :? :? :?:
To be understood is the exception
To be misunderstood is the rule.
User avatar
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member
 
Posts: 9382
Images: 1707
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:55 am
Location: North East OH, ICOA 3904

Postby Spoke » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:59 pm

[quote=]
Take my word for it, there's a segment of the population who doesn't give a darn if it's even safe to move in a straight line -
[/quote]


Yep, that's me.
I also ride a '72 Kawasaki 750H2 :lol:
I actually believe you can get used to the feel of most things once you have traversed the learning curve of their peculiarities.

It could also be said that bikes capable of fantastic handling & performance are sometimes beyond their riders.
Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 7:43 pm
Location: UNITED KINGDOM

Postby Don » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Spoke wrote:It could also be said that bikes capable of fantastic handling & performance are sometimes beyond skill of their riders.

Frequently! ;)

Don
User avatar
Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster
 
Posts: 806
Images: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:13 pm
Location: Biloxi, Mississippi, USA

Re: Wider Rear Tire

Postby Mike Barone #123 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:48 am

George R. Garrison #0857 wrote:Any one have any recomendations regarding a wider rear tire on an 81 prolink?

Do any suppliers or shops build a swing arm to accomadate a wide tire and wheel?

Maybe as wide as a 240?

I've heard if you use a 240 rear, the front wheel needs modified also and probably will need a dual chain drive at the rear. Has anyone tried this type of layout and was it a road worthy configuration?

What's the widith limits within the scope of a single chain drive and modified stock swing arm?

Thanks, George in Delaware


Hi George

1. There are hundreds of companies that can do this type of work for you. This company is starting to make a ZRX-1200 arm/240 kit that will bolt right on the CBX. Call and ask for Brad 941-953-4423. http://www.roaringtoyz.com/WideTireKits.html


2. There is no need to speculate on how 240 or 320 rear tires effect bikes since if this was the path to great handling all sport bikes would have these tires, but I am sure with your background you already realize this. Specific handling clues are out for you to check out now since Victory already makes a bike with a 250 rear tire....the Victory Jackpot which you can check the video road test report on the link below or at your option take out for a demo ride at your local dealer and get back to us with how it all worked out. Sure the Victory Jackpot has no ground clearance nor is a CBX with a 240 kit...but this will give you a general idea of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE3RkloXWV0
Video comparison test....comments on Victory 250 rear tire handles appear in first 2 minutes.


3. Sooooo.... I encourage you to take your time....do your due diligence....and give it a go if this is what you decide to do........heck why not?


Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow
User avatar
Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God
 
Posts: 2334
Images: 691
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:30 am

Postby bbqb4racin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:04 pm

Mike, was it you that called the shop today (Roaring Toyz)? Someone called from PA asking about a custom 240 arm today. Yes, we should be road testing the ZRX 1200 w/240 arm tommorrow. It looks sweet! I've seen the stock Kawi arm used on the CBX before so our arm should be quite adaptable to the CBX. Rick
User avatar
bbqb4racin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 40
Images: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:50 am
Location: Rick in Sarasota, FL

Postby Mike Barone #123 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:13 am

bbqb4racin wrote:Mike, was it you that called the shop today (Roaring Toyz)? Someone called from PA asking about a custom 240 arm today. Yes, we should be road testing the ZRX 1200 w/240 arm tommorrow. It looks sweet! I've seen the stock Kawi arm used on the CBX before so our arm should be quite adaptable to the CBX. Rick


Hi Rick

Guility............I was hoping to locate a source for George to talk to...no way was I expecting such a welcome and help. Thanks

You guys really make some amazing stuff......great website also.

Good job and thanks again.

Small world indeed

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow
User avatar
Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God
 
Posts: 2334
Images: 691
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:30 am

Postby Phil » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Spoke wrote:It could also be said that bikes capable of fantastic handling & performance are sometimes beyond their riders.


Dangit, will you guys stop talking about me.
Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member
 
Posts: 230
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Goshen, IN

Next

Return to TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest