Power Poster
Power Poster

A New Tire Choice For CBX

Post by Mopar_Tony_SF1 »

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Looks like they may be only for Europe - When you try to 'Change Country' the US isn't listed

Wonder what sizes they come in?

A bit suspicious that the front tire is just a smaller version of the rear - Same exact tread pattern. On a CBX, the front and rear tires have very different jobs - I can't imagine that a single tread design could be anywhere near 'best' for both applications

Don

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ericfreeman »

$76.70 for the 100/90-19 front, $93.95 for the 120/90-18 rear from American Motorcycle Tire in Arizona.

Concerning the tread design, I think the Avon AM26 Roadriders I'm running on both of my Ironhead Sportsters have very similar treads front and rear. I haven't had any problem with them in many thousands of miles of riding.

Eric

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don wrote: On a CBX, the front and rear tires have very different jobs - Don
On a CBX? How about on other bikes?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

ericfreeman wrote:$76.70 for the 100/90-19 front, $93.95 for the 120/90-18 rear from American Motorcycle Tire in Arizona.

Concerning the tread design, I think the Avon AM26 Roadriders I'm running on both of my Ironhead Sportsters have very similar treads front and rear. I haven't had any problem with them in many thousands of miles of riding.

Eric
My experience so far as well with a set of Avons on my 79. They look similar to GT501 Dunlops. Hope they last longer. I'll report back. BTW, those Contis also look good and the price is OK too. Both my Xs are recently shod so someone has to buy a pair of these Contis and try them out. Handling and mileage report please! :)
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Hmmm . . . . they come in 'my sizes' too. Might consider a pair of those to see if they wear better than my current BT-45's. I''ve gotta decide soon and order a set of tires for my new boomerang wheels which are going on this winter to replace my 1100F wheels

140/80-17 for $107 and 110/80-18 for $80 - Just about the same prices I'm currently paying for the Bridgestones . . . . I'm sure they probably would wear a bit better - Wonder how the grip would compare?

Don

Reemo
New Member & Happy To Be Here

130 Rears

Post by Reemo »

I just bought, after 6 years of negotiating, 2) '79 CBX's. Both need tires. I've looked thru old CBXpress's. Fall '03 had a writeup on 130 width Rears. I see Avon Roadriders in a 130/80-18 AM26 for like $116.
Has anyone used these?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I'm runing a set of Roadriders on my 79 and love them so far. I have less than two thousand miles on them but that includes a ride over five Sierra mountain passes last month. Great in the twisties! I run a 120 though. The rims are too narrow for a good fit with anything larger. The Prolinks can take a 130 though. You can see the front tread here,

Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Sat May 08, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaned up HTML for PHPBB3
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: 130 Rears

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Reemo wrote:I just bought, after 6 years of negotiating, 2) '79 CBX's. Both need tires. I've looked thru old CBXpress's. Fall '03 had a writeup on 130 width Rears. I see Avon Roadriders in a 130/80-18 AM26 for like $116.
Has anyone used these?
Hello Reemo and welcome to our site.

AM23 Avon 130 Rear Tire Designed for Narrow Rims
The AM23 in that Xpress article is a race tire with a unique a double sidewall that allows it to be fitted to narrow rims like ole brit bike racers...and ofcourse this applies to the CBX ...esp 79s. Here is a link to a "road" test of this tire and the companion front tire so you can judge for yourself. http://www.motorcycle.com/products/avon ... -3519.html

I think I found these tires by checking out a MV500 roadracer at vintage days long ago...so I sorta figured if they worked on the MV...they should work for a CBX. I was very happy with the results and it is a nice path to have the wider 130 look in the back vs the 120. Being a race tire, I always gave the tires a few minutes to warm up, esp the sport rides at the rallies, though I am not so sure this is necessary, but why take chances.

These tires were hard to find back then...many of the volume tire discounters do not stock them, but I would give this a try first for best prices which will be higher than "street" tires. Also ask for the date of manufacture sionce race tires can sit on the shelf a bit longer than fast selling street tires. Google Avon and talk to them where to buy the AM22/23 Avon race combination tires if your dealer or web discount store does not sell them, but dont expect Avon to recommend these tires for the street.....lawyers and all you know, but many riders run them on the street without issue and great success.

Tire Prices
If tires are reallllly important to you personally ...you should buy exactly the tires you think will work for you and the main reason is not price at all, but simply not wasting quality CBX riding time thinking about tires -or- tires prices -or- if the lower price tires you fitted will work the way you want. This is especially true if you like to "ride the ride" in the twisties because the CBX is not a bike when riding like this that you can spend time thinking about anything else...including tires. $50 - $100 a tires set more to get the tires you want only adds up to $10 - $20 a year to have the exact tires you like and not have to be thinking about it all this time.

On The Other Hand
I believe most tires from reputable manufacturers today are far better than most of us can or want to ride CBXs. Support for this is in the replies to your post.... and more is in our Technical Library (light blue area above on this page view)...."Tires/Rims." I can support this and it goes back to when the Dawgie was new/near new/young and running stock rims .....I went through maybe ten sets of different tires and only one set was no good ....there were free set of Dunlop prototype radials that never made it into production for obvious reasons.

Of Note
I cant tell you about putting a standard 130 on a 79 since I never had a 79, but it does have a narrower rim than the other year CBX so this is a item for those here to help you.

Nomatter What.....
My "rule of thumbs" on CBX tires sizes that has always worked is ........the front and back tire should be near the same diameter

Again, welcome to our forums and you have come to the right place....CBXers here have the answers you want, so dont be afraid to ask...we are here to help you.

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Reemo

Best tires for my 79's

Post by Reemo »

Thanks for the info Mike. Now that Christmas is done I can get started on my projects.
Live now, You're a long time cold!

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”