Hopefully the only stupid questions are the ones not asked?

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Hopefully the only stupid questions are the ones not asked?

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

I was working on one of my 81 prolinks this afternoon.

I started to install the front wheel and started to wonder.

Are the lower fork caps universal? Do they have a left or right, in or out front or back or are they totally BI?

I don't see any special marking to indicate they have to installed in any special way. Anyone know about those caps that go over the studs that hold on the front wheel assembly? :roll:
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ericfreeman »

I know that on my '79 the caps have arrows on them indicating forward and they have to be installed this way. Can't answer to other years since I only have this one CBX.

Eric

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The caps on my '81 have the directional arrows as well.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

And there is a set procedure for installing and tightening the nuts. It is spelled out in the manual. This is to make sure the brake discs are lined up properly relative to the caliper holders.

Steve

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ericfreeman »

SteveG wrote:And there is a set procedure for installing and tightening the nuts. It is spelled out in the manual. This is to make sure the brake discs are lined up properly relative to the caliper holders.

Steve
That's right, my factory tool kit has a small feeler gauge to check the rotor to caliper gap to ensure the wheel is centered properly. I think it's about a .050" gauge.

Eric

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I could be wrong (I'm going by memory (what's left of it)) but the feeler guage is >028 and the caps should be tightened up in front first then the rear. Arrow forward. If you do the rear first there will be a slight angle between the studs and the hole through the cap. I always place the caps on the same fork legs they come off but I'm not so sure that is critical.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”