High Speed Weave Survey

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

High Speed Weave Survey

Post by alimey4u2 »

I have a theory which is ( as of yet) unfounded....

Could you tell us whether your bike suffers for a high speed weave or not ?

Naked or Prolink ?

Tires/Tyres fitted giving full tire information ?

The more people who supply this information the better so lurkers, that means ya'll too... :wink:

After a while I'll tabulate the results, I think you'll find them quite interesting... :wink:
ICOA # 656

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXRoger »

I have had occasions of high speed weave on my late model. The problem goes away when I install new tires. Some tires are more prone to wander.

I lost a valve stem on the front tire at the end of the quarter mile that caused severe, but controllable, wander. But that's another story.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

CBXRoger wrote: Some tires are more prone to wander.
Exactly Roger, those are the tires I'm trying to identify.... :wink:
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Hi Larry

Good idea.

All of my experiences as noted in Bill Dentons post were with an early model. His as stated were also.

I never heard much people having handling or wobbling on late models nor did I had the one year I had one and rode it two up. It did have an aftermarket shock though.

Looking forward to see the responses.

Thanks

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

new shorty
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by new shorty »

Would be hard for me to tell what helped me most on this one, but I fitted new tires (tyres), Race tech gold valve cartridge emulators (what a mouth full) in the front fork, and a Hagon rear mono shock on my '81 Prolink when I completely rebuilt it, and it handles very well without ever startling me.
As long as mankind doesn’t see this World as one World, we may be witnessing wars, or become a victim of one of these wars.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:Hi Larry

Good idea.

All of my experiences as noted in Bill Dentons post were with an early model. His as stated were also.

Thanks

Mike
Thanks Mike, I read that with great interest. I also have a "suspicion" that even with all those modifications the CBX is sensitive to tires. I'm trying to see if my suspicions are correct.... :idea:
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

alimey4u2 wrote:
Mike Barone #123 wrote:Hi Larry

Good idea.

Thanks

Mike
Thanks Mike, I read that with great interest. I also have a "suspicion" that even with all those modifications the CBX is sensitive to tires. I'm trying to see if my suspicions are correct.... :idea:
I never had an issue with any tires (guessing 15 sets over they years on the Dawgie).....all stuck good and not one set induced the dreaded high speed wobble more than the others. I did have isssue with a set of prototype Dunlop Radials they sent me to try out......291s I think.... and the issue here was these tires were simply lethal in the wet on any bike.

However, I certainly do think the CBX is sensitive to tires that are worn or cupped which can manifest itself in many ways that adversery effect handling.

Another sensitivity for the CBX related to tires in my view is tire pressure. Before sport rides in Mtns of WV ....I sometimes would pump mine up a bit (2-4 lb/psi) over normal I ran to get a better turn in for the tight twisties.....but this made the potential of high speed wobble on the long straights far greater ......crossed fingers plus toes were the norm since there was no predictablity as to when the high speed wobble would happen.

Again......great topic and hope others reply so we can get a concensus for both early and late models

Thx

Mike

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

new shorty wrote:Would be hard for me to tell what helped me most on this one, but I fitted new tires (tyres), Race tech gold valve cartridge emulators (what a mouth full) in the front fork, and a Hagon rear mono shock on my '81 Prolink when I completely rebuilt it, and it handles very well without ever startling me.
I would greatly appreciate your comments on the Gold Valve you installed on your late model compared to without it

new shorty
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by new shorty »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:I would greatly appreciate your comments on the Gold Valve you installed on your late model compared to without it
I rode the bike for one riding season after I bought it, and I must say I was not impressed by the way it handled, especially in the twisties.
After having rebuilt the bike, I'm very pleased with the way it handles, but it might be, as I stated before, the result of having mounted new tires and a new rear shock as well.
As long as mankind doesn’t see this World as one World, we may be witnessing wars, or become a victim of one of these wars.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I've been weaving and wobbling on CBX's since 1983. The CBX seems to be sensitive to a lot of things, tires included. I go through atleast 3 sets a year on my 82. The only X I've ever had that never had a wobble or weave at all was my prolink race bike. It's also driven on the street. The suspension is basically stock but it has CBR600F3 wheels front and rear. Longer fork tubes to compensate for the smaller front wheel. I believe the stability can be attributed to the much lighter unsprung weight.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Ok guys, wot tires, wobble yes or no ?
ICOA # 656

new shorty
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by new shorty »

Bridgestone Battlax BT45 here,

No wobbles 8)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

new shorty wrote:Bridgestone Battlax BT45 here,

No wobbles 8)
Size/info Joost ? size does matter... :wink:
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

new shorty wrote:
Mike Barone #123 wrote:I would greatly appreciate your comments on the Gold Valve you installed on your late model compared to without it
I rode the bike for one riding season after I bought it, and I must say I was not impressed by the way it handled, especially in the twisties.
After having rebuilt the bike, I'm very pleased with the way it handles, but it might be, as I stated before, the result of having mounted new tires and a new rear shock as well.
Thank you for your reply

The first thing I noticed after I had the Gold Valve installed was the compliance over bumps and ruts on straights and in turns was greatly improved at low, medium and high speeds.

Secondly I noticed a definite decrease in nose dive on hard braking.

I did not put new tires on at the same time the Gold Valve was installed .....so I think ....the massive improvements I experienced could could only relate to the Gold Valve.

Low price for such an improvement....
Last edited by Mike Barone #123 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

cbxtacy wrote:I've been weaving and wobbling on CBX's since 1983. The CBX seems to be sensitive to a lot of things, tires included. I go through atleast 3 sets a year on my 82. The only X I've ever had that never had a wobble or weave at all was my prolink race bike. It's also driven on the street. The suspension is basically stock but it has CBR600F3 wheels front and rear. Longer fork tubes to compensate for the smaller front wheel. I believe the stability can be attributed to the much lighter unsprung weight.
George.........so your other late models did wobble when stock? I think this is important for Larrys study here.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”