Tires for my `82

doncecconi
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tires for my `82

Post by doncecconi »

I have an `82 that I have converted to a standard (no fairing, bags) and haven't started it in 5 years. I haven't bought tires for it for 8 years. It has stock wheels. We're getting it running and I need to get some new skins for it. Who is running what tires these days and why?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

The search function is your friend. lots of tires still made that fit the CBXs.

search.php?mode=results
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Howdy Don. I see you finally found us.

You will undoubtedly get a lot of answers, and most will be correct for the person giving the answer.

I can tell you that at the end of the C2C ride, when we were all backed up to the Pacific, nearly all the bikes had the same tires, the low dollar Bridgestone S-11. They have ample traction for a near stock CBX and last a long time.

A good second choice is the Bridgestone BT-45. A little grippier, a little more cost, a little less longevity. The forerunner to it was the BT-17, which were the only tires I could ever wear out the sides before the centers. And most of that wear was in your back yard, KY Rt 10, 22, 17, 875......... :D
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Just shod Bridgestones this year, all I can say so far is they're a beast to seat the beads... :shock:
However, my British friends say they come highly recommended, so watch this space... :wink:
ICOA # 656

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Hello -

Just got 8k out of my Bridgestone S11 rear, the front (mounted at the same time) is about half worn out.

Just mounted a Kenda K657 Challenger (real inexpensive)(has had good reviews) on the rear. Can't wait to see how it handles and lasts.

Steve

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

A guy i know is buying his second pair of Avon AM26 Roadriders for his '81. He does a fairly even split of backroad and straight line riding and is very happy with the performance.

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

I was considering the GT501's. Any feedback?
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

bdento59 wrote:I was considering the GT501's. Any feedback?
Just make sure they don't have "Harley Davidson" molded in the sidewall :shock: :shock: :wink: :D

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

EMS wrote:Just make sure they don't have "Harley Davidson" molded in the sidewall :shock: :shock: :wink: :D
That'll be easy, because none of the GT501s have HD on them. Perhaps you'e thinking of the K591 or D407?
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

501s are very sticky but the rears wear out too fast for my wallet.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Terry wrote: wear out too fast for my wallet.
The reason I will not put any Dunlops on any of my bikes anymore.

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

EMS wrote:The reason I will not put any Dunlops on any of my bikes anymore.
Quite a broad statement (and lots of "any"s). :P If we were discussing civics, I'd say you were showing prejudice. :wink:

Actually, I quite like Dunlops and have had fairly good experiences with them (D205R/207F, D220) on my GPz1100, which is also a heavy, powerful bike prone to wear out tires at high speeds, kinda like the CB-X. However, those are radials and I'm looking specifically for (performance not price) feedback on the bias ply 501s. Thanks.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yes, you could say I am prejudiced. I used to get quite a few Dunlop tires as original equipment on bikes that I bought new. I was never really satisfied with the mileage I would get from any (another any 8) )of them. The straw that broke the camel's back was a front tire that wore out on one of my bikes BEFORE the rear tire. Both came new with the bike at the same time. When I wanted to discuss this issue with a Dunlop representative during a major national motorcycle rally, I got the cold shoulder treatment. The guy was probably afraid I would ask for a refund :roll: All I wanted were some pointers why this could have happened and if I could have done something to get more mileage out of it. Being a consumer, I did the only thing I could: Blacklist Dunlops from my list of tires I would buy. I don't think I miss them.
In a similar situation, by the way, I got a fantastic response from a Metzeler guy.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I just went through a set of 501's on my 82. I like the Kenda Challengers because I can usually get 8000 miles out of a set and they are still sticky enough to drag the center stand/pegs. The 501's cost almost 3 times as much and barely made it 4000 miles. I felt more comfortable on the 501's pushing it though. The Kenda's always worry me and if it's cold out and I havn't ridden for a few miles getting the tires warmed up I would take it easy. But they last for a long time and I can usually find a set for under $100 both. That's cheap.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

doncecconi
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by doncecconi »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on tires for my `82. The CBX is my garage queen, it doesn't get ridden as much as I like so high mileage isn't a priority. I'll be shopping for good wet and dry performance. I'll pull up info on your recommendations. My `06 Goldwing is the real tire eater in the family, I haven't found a rear tire yet that didn't need to be changed at the same interval as the oil...but that's for another forum.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”