VFR 750 Wheels

Post by Des Brown »

Has any body fitted vfr 750f Boomerang wheels on a cbx
WARP FACTOR 6 MR SULU

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I believe the VFR front wheel is smaller than the rear. I would not recomment to do this.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Pete Ruff put VFR wheels on an '81 back in the last century. I saw it, sitting in his shed behind his house a couple of years ago.

Putting the swingarm in shouldn't bee too tough, on a late model CBX. It's a little harder on a n early model. You would have to build mounts for a pro-link style shock.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Des Brown
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Des Brown »

Thanks for you quick reply,s,I am currently running a Z with cb1100r boomerang wheels, the front is 2.50 18 with a prolink front end and disks
( the speedo is out a fraction but I can live with that) I have also lowered the fender.
The rear is 2.75 17 with a 140 tyre I have a ally braced swinging arm and modified brake torque arm,I have reduced the chain size to a 530 and the rear sprocket to a 40 tooth to compensate for the extra rpm with the smaller tyre size, but rpm,s
are still a little high not much but I would like to reduce them a little more.
I have found a cb1100r 3.00 18 in Germany but they want mega buck,s for it
and these don,t come up very often,but the vfr750f 3.00 18 boomerang wheels seem more available and a lot cheaper.
I have the chance of one for about 50 bucks I could always get it and if it dose not fit I would resell it. I have ran this set-up for about 1500 miles at the end of last summer and it totally changed the ride of the Z with alot better handling and no vibration,(chain size I think) it go,s into corners a bit sharp but only at very slow speeds
I will post photo,s later.

DES.
WARP FACTOR 6 MR SULU

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The U.S. VFR wheels were different than those in Europe. When it was referred to "boomerang" wheels, I was thinking of the black Comstars. The front of these were smaller than the rear.

Des Brown
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Des Brown »

I also think did the US cb1100r have like a 6 spoke wheel
WARP FACTOR 6 MR SULU

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

O.K., let's start again. You have gold boomerang Comstars on your CBX. The sizes you are describing are very likely wheels off a CB1100F.
The gold 3.00x18 rear was installed on the CB1100Rc and CB1100Rd as well as the early (RC15?) VF750. On that bike it was combined with a 16 inch front wheel. That triggered my comment. But you are talking rear only, obviously.

There never was a CB1100R in the U.S. Honda only sold this bike in South Africa, Australia and Europe, including the U.K. The early CB1100R had a five spoke Comstar like the 1980 CBX but painted gold like the later 900F Bol d'Or. If you find a VF750 gold boomerang 3.00x18 for less than one for a CB1100R, it is just because people don't know that they are the same and everything CB1100R commands big bucks. Especially among the guys who have CB-Fs. As long as you have clearance at the brake torque reaction rod, you should be able to fit the 3.00x18 with a 140 tire on the CBX.

Des Brown
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Des Brown »

Well that just about sums it up,I have lots of room with my modded torque
so size is no problem I will let you know How I get on
Thanks
WARP FACTOR 6 MR SULU

Douglas
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Douglas »

hey-Hey!!!,
The 1987, US-spec VFR750's 3.50x18 wheel will fit a pro-link with a 3mm spacer on the drive-sprocket side. Works very nicely. The VFR's caliper and hanger are also used( smaller diameter disc is more than adequate for rear service in a pro-link, at least when used by me ). The stock CBX caliper will also mount to the VFR's hanger. I ran the Dunlop K591 140/70-VB18 with no interference and good sidewall angle thanks to the 3.5" rim width.
cheers,
Douglas

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”