Old Tires vs. Bad Tires

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Old Tires vs. Bad Tires

Post by desertrefugee »

Sorry to bring this up, but this IS a tire forum and much has been said over the years about the dangers of old rubber. But, are there exceptions?

I think we've all heard horror stories about "old" tires. And, for sure, it's probably prudent to err on the side of caution with regard to aging rubber. But does that mean always? Here in Arizona, I've seen tires as "new" as four years old with significant drying and sidewall cracking in evidence. But, those are tires that have typically seen pretty much constant exposure to the intense sun and UV radiation we have here. By the same token, I've also seen fifteen year old tires that have spent essentially their entire lives in a garage with smooth sidewalls and soft tread.

It has also been said that as the rubber does harden, it loses its ability to conform to surface irrgularities and grip is reduced. But, we can choose new tires with countless rubber compounds with characteristics running the gamut from soft to hard - depending on riding style and application. Couldn't a new tire with a "hard" rubber compound then be similar to an older tire whose rubber has lost some of its suppleness?

So, if there's no sign of rubber deterioration (drying/cracking) and/or significant hardening, what exactly is the catastrophe about to befall the hapless rider should he decide to operate on those tires?
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”