CBX WHEELS, TIRES, AND SWINGARMS

Ken Elmore
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

CBX WHEELS, TIRES, AND SWINGARMS

Post by Ken Elmore »

Hey CBXers,

I have not posted or really read our site very much in recent months because I am sick of reading trash by a few "prolific posters" with nothing of value to say. Give one individual his money back--I just sent in 3 yrs dues to cover his loss! 8) Bikes are supposed to be FUN :twisted: I am happy when anyone sends me any info on where to buy anything for CBX's.

Real question: What is the largest rim/tire that can be installed on the 79/80's and PRO-LINKs respectively? I am looking at custom chrome wheels for my 80 black & chrome project, but I am reading a lot of conflicting info on CBX wheels and tires. I feel that larger tires would be a nice improvement to an upgraded 80X. Not to mention, just cool in general.

Also, How much different is a CB1100F swingarm from the 80X unit? I have been hearing a lot about 1100F swingarms and "CAL-FAB" wide swing arms that allow 900F's and 1100F's to house some extra wide rear rubber. I have also been secretly thinking about buying an 1100F to hang out with my CBX's--I hope the older Hondas do not argue! Back in the day I bought a new 83 GS1100 instead ($2600), but I always liked the 1100F too--the final player in the original CB SUPERSPORT series.

2 specific questions:

1) Can a 1980 CBX run 19x3.5 front and 18x4.25 or 18x5.5 rear with 39mm forks and an upgraded rear swingarm? What swingarm mods/replacement are needed. I can machine special torque links, etc. What size tires would be appropriate for these wheels? I may try to raid the wrecking yard for some COMSTAR wheels to canabalize for the "custom" stock CBX look--it's all fun :twisted: It's always enjoyable to watch the professional X'ers at any rally try to figure out what is mod'ed on a given bike.:cheers:

2)How wide can the wheels get for a PRO-LINK with factory forks/swingarms? "Where's the rub?" I would like to install custom wheels & rubber on an 82 as well. Maybe run with Mark's Turbo in DV next year :D Just a thought. The Christmas bike upgrade season is almost upon us. I look forward to any feedback and the upcoming CBXpress issue.

Ride it like you were born on it!

Best Wishes, Ken
Ken Elmore, ICOA 5645

CBX-CLUB Deutschland 844, der einzige Ami

Ride Hard, Be Cool

(3) 79's, (2) 80's, (1) 81, (2) 82's

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: CBX WHEELS, TIRES, AND SWINGARMS

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Ken Elmore wrote:Hey CBXers,

Real question: What is the largest rim/tire that can be installed on the 79/80's and PRO-LINKs respectively? I am looking at custom chrome wheels for my 80 black & chrome project, but I am reading a lot of conflicting info on CBX wheels and tires. I feel that larger tires would be a nice improvement to an upgraded 80X. Not to mention, just cool in general.

reply: in my view ....the absolute widest tire that will fit in a late or early model swing arm is a 150 and you might have to trim one or both sides of the tire where the bead meets the sidewall just a tad or so. not on stock rims ofcourse

if you relocate the linkages on the late model from the inside of the arm nearest the tire you should be able to fit a 160

to make sure check yourself go to any of the tire mfg www pages and check the tread widths for 120,130,140,150,160,170 tires then measure between the swingarm arms ....where the tire would be most likely to rub (12.5" to 13.5" or so forward of the axle)....this will give you a good idea and hopefully confirm what i will tell you from memory when i did this long ago

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Also, How much different is a CB1100F swingarm from the 80X unit?

1. the 1100f arm is longer by i am guessing an 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch but you can get back to stock cbx length by filing the axle hole in the 1100f arm forward 1/2 inch or so ...or until your x chain fits. then you have to cut 1/2 inch off the end of the 1100f arm so you can still double nut the adjusters....takes maybe 2 minutes a side.

the 1100f arm is pretty flimsy without the wheel/axle and all attached and tight...but dont worry about this....it works fine under alot of stress and strain and will handle a tuned motor (say up to 110 hp)....after that if you really ride fast you need to think about another arm or bridge the 1100f arm which then will handle cbx motors to the 140 hp plus range

2. the 1100f arm allows for a wider tire than the stock cbx rim.

reply: i have a 160 in my 1100f arm with widened kosman rim....which suits the bike fine and looks super also. you could squeeze a 170 in there for sure but it might require filing the edge of tire per above ...forget which side

I have also been secretly thinking about buying an 1100F to hang out with my CBX's--I hope the older Hondas do not argue! Back in the day I bought a new 83 GS1100 instead ($2600), but I always liked the 1100F too--the final player in the original CB SUPERSPORT series.

reply: the 1100f is a great bike in all respects. i think a good one can be had for less than a good cbx.

2 specific questions:

1) Can a 1980 CBX run 19x3.5 front and 18x4.25 or 18x5.5 rear with 39mm forks and an upgraded rear swingarm? What swingarm mods/replacement are needed. I can machine special torque links, etc. What size tires would be appropriate for these wheels? I may try to raid the wrecking yard for some COMSTAR wheels to canabalize for the "custom" stock CBX look--it's all fun :twisted: It's always enjoyable to watch the professional X'ers at any rally try to figure out what is mod'ed on a given bike.:cheers:

reply: if i were you i would consider an 1100f front and back transplant...then send kosman the stock 1100f rear rim and have it widened to 4.5 or 5.0 inches so you can fit a 160 or 170. this will give you 17 x 4.5/5.0 inch rear rim and 160 or 170 rear tier......and a 110 x 18 front rim which lowers the bike and will give you all the handling most of us will ever want/need. i have a complete 1100f rear without the shocks (very critical part...1100f shocks are best econo shocks for the cbx....used ones are better than new cbx shocks....they have compression, rebound and spring adj)........ and i have a complete 1100f front rim and rotors both i will sell you if this is the way you want to go.

in your search for an 1100f on www to ride also look for one with a blown motor........so you can take the fullll front and back off vs buying the parts one at time. you can then keep whats left for the 1100f "rider" you buy

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2)How wide can the wheels get for a PRO-LINK with factory forks/swingarms? "Where's the rub?" I would like to install custom wheels & rubber on an 82 as well.

reply: the rub on the late models if you will is where the links hook to the inside of the arm which are located right where the widest part of the tire passes. i have been told in ole days people relocated the links when they build specials out of the late model x...........e me direct and i will give you the name of the person i think that told me this

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I look forward to any feedback and the upcoming CBXpress issue.

reply: the fall xpress is in the mail, has a nice picotorial on frame gussetting which you should think about when you are doing this.

also i have a 1100f xplant article i wrote i can send you ....but really ken you should call me sometime so we can go over all this .....its not difficult to do all this but there are other things to think about. 800-869-5763 then 1, then 4331 mid morn/late afternoon eastern will do it. 717-697-5559 late eve will do it

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

to see my bike with all these changes go to photoisland.com then password and id are mabarone cbx

best now

mike brown barone

Ride it like you were born on it!

Best Wishes, Ken

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”