Aftermarket 1980 CBX Tail Piece

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Aftermarket 1980 CBX Tail Piece

Post by Spooky#1 »

Has anyone suggested to L.P.M. Low Pressure Mouldings that there are a lot of 79 and 80 CBX owners that would like to replace the original tail pieces with the 80 design? Looks like it would be a fairly simple injection process to produce those three pieces. Supply the tail piece, storage compartment door and storage tub and I'll bet they would sell a bunch. I have talked to a few 79 owners that have either done it or would like to and most 80 bikes I have seen have cracks in the storage door and are very fragile. I'm heading to the L.P.M. site now to see if I can make contact and pass along the suggestion and hopefully others have already done so. It would also be nice if some company would manufacture the alternator clutch plates as well. A number of so-called garage companies have reproduced clones of the engine bars, turn signals and a few other pieces so I imagine the plates will appear eventually.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Aftermarket 1980 CBX Tail Piece

Post by Rick Pope »

You also need to change the support structure under the tail. It's a bit more involved than swapping plastic.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I exchanged e-mails with Karen Biggs from that site. She was very prompt and provided the info i was looking for.
I had the tailpiece and side covers for a '79 on a bike and they were excellent quality.

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spooky#1 »

You're right about the grab rail system being different but I still sought out an 80 tail piece for my 79 and then waited for the 80 rail to turn up. The convenience of the storage compartment becomes apparent when I go from my 80 to the 79.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”