Anyone in Oklahoma?

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Anyone in Oklahoma?

Post by cross »

Hi guys,
I wasn't sure where to post this but here it is.
I found project bike here in California, not CBX but rather vintage bmw and need little help in finding some info on its history.
Owner of this bike had passed away and his wife had given it to her son and he desided to sell it.
Problem is this. Last registration was in '84 and it still has Oklahoma license plates so obviously, he never transferred the ownership.
Now, the person that inherited it, doesn't have any paperwork but is helping his mom search for some paper trail of transaction.
There is no information on this bike in California dmv ans they had told me that this needs to be checked with Oklahoma dmv.
Anyone in Oklahoma that could assist in any possible way?
Thank you
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Anyone in Oklahoma?

Post by EMS »

These guys in California crack me up.... :roll: Can't they do a title search with the VIN number? The BMV here in Ohio does it all the time.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, that stuff costs a fortune in CA (and elsewhere, I'm sure) and you get no service for it. Titles in title states are getting increasingly more difficult to get. I see lots of ads where the seller has a 'good title' from a previous owner, that's not signed or notarized. No go in most title states unless you fudge something. Guys in no-title states don't know how good they have it.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It goes without saying, that both seller and buyer should take care of proper title transfer. The reason the states clamp down on it, is sales tax. Too many titles are transferred with a lower selling price number than actual, so the buyer saves on tax. Ohio has started to send letters to sellers asking to confirm the selling prices. Happened to a friend of mine who bought a car in Colorado. The seller got a letter from the Ohio treasurer asking to confirm the selling price.
Now, we could discuss why the states charge sales tax on a used vehicle each time it is being sold...but that's another subject.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I don't really need a title but If he can at least find a bill of sale, it would be workable.
Even registration slip with name and address so we can try to locate original owner but he doesn't have that either so if he doesn't find anything, this bike is only a parts bike and I'll stay away from it.
California is strict but things can get done providing correct information is provided on the forms with some running around.
I'll ask highway patrol If they can run plates and vin to at least see if it's not stolen

Thanks guys
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sasha: If you have it, p.m. me the VIN number. I will see if I have anything in my number records.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

It's a BMW not CBX, you have something for them too?
Someone mentioned that you collect CBX engine and vim numbers, I don't think I sent you mine
Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cross wrote:It's a BMW not CBX, Thanks
Stupid me. I should start reading posts! :doh:

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

In California, titles and any records disappear from the DMV system after 7 years. Unless it has been black listed, it is gone in seven years and never existed in this state.
Sasha, if you want to send me an email to phil10@ca.rr.com I will give you a couple of alternatives if you have not put this bike in the CA. DMV system already.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”