Handlebars High/Low?

Paddy_SP
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Handlebars High/Low?

Post by Paddy_SP »

I've just bought a CBX1000Z that has the US-spec high bars on it - which being a Brit, I could never live with... While I'd like a set of the low bars, they seem to only be obtainable at ridiculous money. I was therefore wondering if a) anyone would be willing to sell me a s/h set, or b) whether anyone has ever successfully cut a pair of high ones down?

I've got a TIG (heli-arc) plant, so could do the work myself, but as the bike hasn't actually arrived here yet I'm trying to picture how successful such an operation would be - as ever, any help would be most appreciated!

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Handlebars High/Low?

Post by gak1047 »

The bars taper so I don't know how that would work cutting them down. Another option I have seen is to mount the bars below the triple tree. Back when I was drag racing I saw this done. It would require loosening the forks and sliding them down out of the triple tree, You then slide the bars over the fork tubes, then slide the forks back up into there original position. You wind up up with the fork tubes sticking up through the triple tree, but the bars are lower. I would just be careful you have clearance so the bars don't hit your tank. The other option would be to use a set of clip-ons.

Paddy_SP

Post by Paddy_SP »

Thanks for your comments - my intention is to build a bike that looks original, so relocating the bars below the yoke would sadly not be an option. I do realise that the relevant section is tapered, hence my question - if I can't find a set of low bars, I guess I'll just have to set to in the workshop and make them look right!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The low bars were stock in the U.K. and the rest of Europe. They should not be that hard to find. Keep trying ebay-D. In Germany a ton of CBXes were turned into streetfighters and the guys sell their take-off parts.

Paddy_SP

Post by Paddy_SP »

Thanks - I'll do that! :)

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

I have a couple of sets i am not using, i will have a think about selling a set.
They are cast alloy so welding is a no-no.
Mounting under the top yoke requires some kind of bracket to stop them rotating.

Paddy_SP

Post by Paddy_SP »

Thanks for your reply - I'd be most interested if you do decide to sell a set!

zalle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by zalle »

You probably found a solution by now, but handlebars from a cb750 or 900 fit, are slightly lower than cbx's, and I'm sure they're cheaper than cbx's ones.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, some of the Euro-spec F bikes had 35mm forks and the low bars will fit, but that still requires the sport kit throttle housing at a minimum and those are hard to find. Adapting other Honda top-exit throttle housings will work. Then you still don't have the rear set peg brackets etc.

Dave

zalle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by zalle »

My brother has a 1979 CB750F, Japanese version, and I used his handlebars for a while.

So the USA version of the CBX (high handlebars) has a different throttle setting?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, look at some pics and you'll clearly see the difference.

Dave

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

and Im looking for a set of low bars also, so Ill go troll the local wreckers and see what they have....

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

I have a set of low bars that come with a bushing to fit both early and late models. Not really sure what they came off but I had them on my 80 for a while. I can send pics by e-mail if you are interested.2876

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

As I mentioned on another bar topic.
The Euro bikes have rear set foot pegs.
Different foot peg plates.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

broook wrote:I have a set of low bars that come with a bushing to fit both early and late models. Not really sure what they came off but I had them on my 80 for a while. I can send pics by e-mail if you are interested.
If they are 39mm, they could be European Prolink. They could also be Euro (Canadian?) 900F. Or Interceptor bars (Very common)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”