82 CBX Thermometer Repair/Restoration

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

82 CBX Thermometer Repair/Restoration

Post by ezridermn »

I just purchased a low mileage 82 CBX that is in very good condition. Everything looks good and most everything works as it should except the thermometer located in the fairing. The face colors are faded beyond the point of the clock and speed/tach gauges so it looks like a bit of a sore thumb. In addition, it doesn't report the right temperature. The needle moves up and down about 5 degrees but that is it.

I have looked around on the web and checked out eBay but haven't been able to find a replacement or anyone to repair and refurbish the one I have. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I get deal with this situation so I can end up with a good looking functional thermometer gauge?

Thanks in advance for the help!
1982 Honda CBX

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 82 CBX Thermometer Repair/Restoration

Post by EMS »

Is it the ambient temperature gauge? If so, mine does the same thing. Hasn't bothered me ever. Still looks better than the black plastic plug or a hole in the fairing. 8)

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

You might try Pistol Pete at http://www.oldwings.com/. He does a fine job with tachs and speedo. Don't know what he might do for the temp gage. He might be able to reface it -- someone else for the mechanism. You can ask. Also, see what Bill Brint might have to offer at TIMS CBX. Another thought, Louis Mintrone at usedcbxparts.com. He might (??!) have a replacement -- might. That's a tough one to find.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Think you'll find that the sending unit tubing has worn through right at the fairing frame behind where the gauge mounts. I've had 2 of them do this. Very bad mounting design with the fairing frame being so close to where the gauges mount. Trace the sender (should be mounted on the lower front edge of the fairing) to the gauge and I'll bet you find the copper tubing worn through. We've looked into getting those repaired over the years and no luck.

Dave

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

Good morning all. I found your comments helpful and insightful. Needless to say I learned there is not an easy answer. I did contact Louis Mintrone at usedcbxparts.com yesterday. He has a used one he would sell me for $275. He had a NOS one that he sold a couple of weeks ago for $475. The challenge for me is to figure out how to get a working thermometer who's face colors blend in with the rest of the gauges. Louis basically said good luck. New ones would be one shade, used ones will be a different shade but neither will likely match what I have. His candid comments were also helpful. Guess to this a bit like chasing the holy grail. Not sure which way I am going to go at this point. I am going to sit tight for now and not doing anything.

Regardless your help shed a lot of light on the subject. Thanks.
1982 Honda CBX

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The gauge itself is O.K. Like Dave said, the problem is likely with the sending unit tube. You will buy a new gauge for a lot of money and it will still not work. :naughty:

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”