stuck clutch cover

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

stuck clutch cover

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

anybody have any tips on how to pull a stuck clutch cover off a pro-link? I have removed all the bolts (11 in total) but the cover is stuck to the engine. I cant find anywhere to get a good grip on it to pull it apart. it may be that I painted the motor with the cover on and the paint is holding onto it but I doubt the paint is that strong. cant find any real place to pry on it either, and don't want to mark up my pristine paint job. anybody have any tips????

thx
kent

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: stuck clutch cover

Post by EMS »

Somebody probably used a sealant that keeps the cover in place. Try using a rubber mallet to bang it a bit. There are dowel pins in the cover, so it has to come straight off the block.
You may have to carefully pry in a spot that is not in plain sight, but, again, be careful, you don't want to mar the seal surface..

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

I use "dead blow" hammer, (rubber hummer with sand inside) tap it around few times and it always comes off

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Have you tried to pull the clutch with the cable still attached?

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

I have and will try some of these suggestions. I think I will need a buddy to hit it with the rubber mallet while I try and pull it straight off. I can always re-paint it off the bike if need be, the key is to get to the clutch. guessing I can wack it pretty good with the rubber mallet without doing any damage???

thx
Kent

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Do be a bit careful, Kent. Sometimes those aluminium castings can be a bit brittle. And, if I remember correctly, the two dowel locators for the cover are not the stoutest. If it is 'glued' in place with a sealant, as suggested above, you might try playing a heat gun around the joint for a bit before trying the removal. Might just soften things enough to get it to move. Depends upon what may have been used.

Having said all that, as I recall, the last time I removed mine it did require a bit of mallet persuasion. Even plain gaskets can be stubborn after many years. The oil seeping into them sets somewhat like a varnish. Again, a bit of heat might help. Good luck.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Kent: Put the cable back on and adjust. Then simply pull the clutch lever at the bars and it should pop right loose. Alternately, do as the guys said, but put a leather glove under the spot you want to hit with the hammer.
Dave

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

all great info and dave that's exactly what I did. cable back on, adjusted it so it was pretty tight, tied back the clutch lever and a couple good thunks with the mallet and she popped right off. now I have to clean off the old rock hard gasket, without damaging or stripping my paint.

thx
kent

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”