Clear coat peeling off

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Clear coat peeling off

Post by mike209 »

My '82 cbx has really nice original paint, but on the tank clear coat is peeling off of blue stripes, is there any easy fix for that without repainting whole tank?

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Clear coat peeling off

Post by CopperCollar »

Check in with a good painter. Depending on the damage he may be able to sand and apply a clear coat.

Not something I would attempt myself, just not that good a painter and not familiar with the industry.

They do amazing stuff now.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Clear coat peeling off

Post by asacuta »

As already stated, take it to a competent painter.

I re-clear-coated my 81 tank, tailpiece, and front fender: they look great. On the tank, some of the clear had chipped off the stripes, but the painter was able to repair the area and then clear the whole part. I had similar problems with the black part of the front fender (brake-fluid damage) and the Honda decal on the tailpiece. In fact, over the last 34 years, I've had the tank re-cleared twice: it seems to get the most wear from gas spills and clothing.

I find some of the best painters are the ones who do Harleys. Those HD guys are really fussy about their paint.
Al

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”