Reproduction gas tank emblems vs NOS

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Reproduction gas tank emblems vs NOS

Post by NobleHops »

Links updated 12/2023

This subject came up very recently when an individual attempted to corner the market on NOS gas tank emblems by buying out the remaining stock from David Silver Spares. I was fortunate to have purchased a set for my red bike before this person bought out the remainder, so I had a set in hand. Another member pointed out that the website at https://www.badgereplicas.com.au/badges_honda.htm was selling reproduction gas tank emblems, and so I ordered up a set of those too to compare.

You can find these repro emblems on this page:

https://www.badgereplicas.com.au/badges_honda.htm

They sell for $72 (Australia $) per side, plus a very reasonable $8.00 for shipping and handling. I ordered these on October 28, 2014 and they arrived a week later on November 4, having been shipped from Australia in a small box.

I paid $76.72 a side from David Silver Spares, plus $17 shipping and handling, but that's nearly moot as the guy in Canada that bought them out is asking $300 for a set, so that's the best basis for comparison currently unless some more old stock surfaces.

Here are the photos:

My observations:

They are constructed differently - the NOS are swaged together and are two pieces. If you've installed a set you know that when you bend them to fit the contour of the tank they can pop apart, and ought to be glued together once the final fit is achieved. The repros are solid and show evidence of being spot welded together. They will take more effort to bend for a perfect fit then the NOS.

The repros are much more substantial then the NOS, as you can see by the different weight on the scale.

The quality of the chrome and the finish are excellent on both - equivalent. The lettering looks identical, same shape and spacing, a ringer to my eye.

If you look very closely at the photo of the H you may detect a very slight waviness on the edge. That is the single thing I might call a flaw in the repros. But I was really scrutinizing for flaws and I very much doubt you will ever notice this.

Bottom line?

An excellent part. I have not fitted them yet so I can't comment about that, but they are on their way to another builder who will, and he will comment when he does no doubt. I am going to use the NOS on the red bike because I have them and they were nearly equivalent cost, but if I do another CBX and need badges, I will use these.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Reproduction gas tank emblems vs NOS

Post by tevan »

Thanks for the comparison. It seems to me they are better then the nos as far as durability. I know where I am buying mine. The finish is just as good as nos ones for $300 plus dollars versus $160 for the knockoff. I will order some in the near future. Thanks again

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

My pleasure Terry.
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NobleHops wrote:This subject came up very recently when an individual attempted to corner the market on NOS gas tank emblems by buying out the remaining stock from David Silver Spares.

the guy in Canada that bought them out is asking $300 for a set, so that's the best basis for comparison currently unless some more old stock surfaces.

N.
I am not so sure that the "guy in Canada" invented the high price....I saw that long before I heard from the seller in Canada. He probably saw this too and thought there may be a money making opportunity...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-HONDA-LEFT- ... 6f&vxp=mtr

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

EMS wrote:
NobleHops wrote:This subject came up very recently when an individual attempted to corner the market on NOS gas tank emblems by buying out the remaining stock from David Silver Spares.

the guy in Canada that bought them out is asking $300 for a set, so that's the best basis for comparison currently unless some more old stock surfaces.

N.
I am not so sure that the "guy in Canada" invented the high price....I saw that long before I heard from the seller in Canada. He probably saw this too and thought there may be a money making opportunity...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-HONDA-LEFT- ... 6f&vxp=mtr
My thoughts exactly!! :text-goodpost:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

...in any case.. great find, Nils, and good report. It looks like there is an alternative 8) 8)
I got a set a few weeks ago from ebay Germany. I paid 165 Euro incl shipping for the set, with the right one being almost twice the price of the left one. They are NOS Honda -422-s 8)
Last edited by EMS on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Anyone have a photo of a naked '82 with tank emblems installed on it?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

hondaman160mph wrote:Anyone have a photo of a naked '82 with tank emblems installed on it?
Interesting question! The emblems attach to the early model tanks with screws, and there is a recess holding the strip with the threads. Of course the Prolinks don't have the recess, but I have no doubt that an enterprising fellow could either weld in some threaded inserts or simply glue the badges on somehow.

I'd also be very interested to see an example of this if you find a photo of it.
Nils Menten

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Many guys have taken the 'HONDA' decals from the Pro-Link fairing and put them on the tank of a naked bike - they might be hard to find separately as the reproductions are usually sold in sets.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

..another nice one to put on the tank is the Honda Wing logo.

hardlyrock
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by hardlyrock »

I see left side NOS 422 emblems for sale on Ebay. Does anyone know if a left side one will fit on the right side of the tank?

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

hardlyrock wrote:I see left side NOS 422 emblems for sale on Ebay. Does anyone know if a left side one will fit on the right side of the tank?
They won't fit as they come - the badges have quite a pronounced "curve" in them which moulds to the tank, and each side is different.

I have successfully converted them - "right to left", and "left to right". You need to separate the backing plate (which is alloy) from the front (which is plastic).

The backing plate can be re-moulded very easily, so not a problem. The front can be re-moulded, when I did it I got hair line cracks in the plastic - only visible from very close up. Once you stick the backing plate back to the front it keeps it shape.

I did it on old badges, so had nothing to lose. On new badges, separating the front / back and re-moulding them could damage the paintwork- chances are it would be OK tho'.

Some pictures in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=9654&start=75

Paul.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

jnnngs wrote:
hardlyrock wrote:
Some pictures in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=9654&start=75

Paul.
That looks really good, I would'nt have thought to do that, what motivated you to try it Paul?

jb

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Jeff,

I started out with two tank badges which weren't in great condition. I could buy the left hand badges, but right hand ones were more difficult to source.

So, it was really about seeing if a new left one could be converted to a right (as Hardlyrock is thinking about). I expected to try the conversion, and if worked out buy new badges. As it turned out, I managed to convert the left one to a right, so I thought I'd try and repaint it as well. That turned out to be pretty good, so I then ended up converting the original right to the left side and painting that!

So, in the end I converted the badges completely unnecessarily, and could have just painted them!

Paul.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”