POR 15

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

POR 15

Post by CopperCollar »

I bought a can of POR 15 spray paint. I didn't do my home work until after I sprayed some parts and they were a beautiful gloss black ...... until they dried.

Now the good part is I sprayed the calipers with this paint and it's a great match for stock color, so much so I applied it to the clutch control , master cylinders, handlebars, headlight bracket and fork legs, looks fantastic.

It is pricey, $21 a can but it is reported to be fuel, ethanol and brake fluid resistant once cured.

It's the POR 15 Chassis paint, dries to a nice satin finish.

Here is a picture of the fork tube.

Mike
Last edited by CopperCollar on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: POR 15

Post by NobleHops »

Sweet, that is great to know.

I am leaning toward painting this next bike's frame and black metal bits. I'm kinda falling out of love with powdercoating and the way it looks. Too 'melty' for me.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I have a can of the POR 15 GLOSS Black coming. From what I hear its excellent. Same fuel, brake fluid resistance.

I'll let you know what I think as I will be spraying the parts Thurs.

The only thing I dislike is the way powder coating covers up the serial numbers okay.....and how it fills the bolt holes and bearing surfaces when they are not properly taped off and covered.

I use the Wet Black coating, doesn't have that bluish tinge to it.

My next build will get the POR 15 paint as I can spray the frame for a lot less than the $250 the powder coater charges and have the same durability.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike:

Looks like you stumbled into a good match for all the satin black stuff (and there's a lot). I'm with you on paint vs powder on some stuff. I can get powder coating done REAL cheap, so I do have some stuff done. Frames can turn out very well powder coated if you take a lot of time and put old bolts/washers in all the holes, remove the frame tags and mask all the bearing surfaces. If you explicitly tell the powder coater you want to still see the frame numbers, they can go light on the powder there and it will still look fine. I do like painting other frame parts better. Engine mounts, other things that get remover/installed regularly and can just be touched up if nicked. Powder is also good for battery boxes and taillight frames.

Looking good!

Dave

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”