Gas tank paint

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Gas tank paint

Post by Artie »

Need 1979 tank painted to stock specs ,silver with decals tank only any ideas???

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Gas tank paint

Post by NobleHops »

This fella just painted my red bodywork and I could not be happier.

http://www.motorcyclepaintingbyblake.com/

Will post a pic in a moment...
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

Looking Great Nils!
Looks just like the set he did for me. Except for that hatch thingy on the tail.

I'm another satisfied customer of Blake's. Here's the Master of Color hisself:

Barry

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Nils:

I see you chose the satin finish for your sidecovers. Were yours in good enough shape to identify whether they were satin or gloss before painting? I contend some red '80s did come that way, and clearly many red ones came with glossy covers. Others may disagree. Your set looks fantastic!

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Bill's painter at TIMS CBX does great work as well.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Nils:

Were yours in good enough shape to identify whether they were satin or gloss before painting? I contend some red '80s did come that way, and clearly many red ones came with glossy covers. Others may disagree. Your set looks fantastic!

Dave

Theory, based on some information which has to be confirmed: ALL 1980 CBXes built in Marysville came in black with glossy sidecovers. Dealers changed bodywork to red, if customers wanted (explains the relatively large amount of "almost NOS" black tanks around - I have two). Dealers did not change the sidecovers - ergo: CGR 1980s with glossy black sidecovers. I really BELIEVE this! Doesn't mean, it is true...not yet :think: :think:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

daves79x wrote:Nils:

I see you chose the satin finish for your sidecovers. Were yours in good enough shape to identify whether they were satin or gloss before painting? I contend some red '80s did come that way, and clearly many red ones came with glossy covers. Others may disagree. Your set looks fantastic!

Dave
You give me too much credit as usual Dave :-). I did not choose, I didn't give any direction at all. Blake didn't ask either, and I bet he does mostly 79 stuff anyway and so its possible he assumed they should be satin. In any event, I believe they WERE satin, and I did photograph them pretty well which you can check here:

Pick up the gallery with other photos here:

http://noblehops.smugmug.com/Motorcycle ... /i-xd6P6tR

The back of the part shows a 422 part series, assuming that didn't change between 79 and 80. I suppose it is possible that this is just a byproduct of the time spent in a Vermont barn and they were once glossy, but I really don't think so. They looked satin to me, look satin in the photos, and this was a Japan-built '80 too.

So I am glad to have them satin, I think this little distinct subspecies of Japanese '80s should sport its differences in style :-). However my black (repainted) bike has glossy...

N.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

P.S. Artie

Sorry about the hijack of your topic, hope this was all a little useful. You're going to need decals. Call these folks:

http://www.diablocycle.com/

...and ask them about it. They no longer list the Honda decals for sale as a result of some or other interactions with Honda but I think they may be able to COUGH point you in the right direction COUGH. You may also need emblems for your tank. I got a set a of NOS from David Silver Spares. Save the teeny screws you remove!
Nils Menten

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, the sidecovers I've seen from '80s have the 422 stamp. I sort of think that the red '80s from Japan did mostly have the satin covers, and yours sure look like it, so however, you've swerved into the correct look!

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Nils - one other thing - the new emblems from David Silver will be 422 part numbers. You'll have to carefully drill out the 3mm holes to fit the 4mm screws of your '80 tank. Go ahead and spring for new 4mm screws also - Honda still has them. I also usually have to re-glue the emblems together as they pop apart when you tweak them to fit the contour of the tank. Remember, they have 30 year-old glue and have been flattened out from storage all these years. Re-glue with a good epoxy and c-clamp them together overnight - AFTER you've confirmed the fit.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

daves79x wrote:Nils - one other thing - the new emblems from David Silver will be 422 part numbers. You'll have to carefully drill out the 3mm holes to fit the 4mm screws of your '80 tank. Go ahead and spring for new 4mm screws also - Honda still has them. I also usually have to re-glue the emblems together as they pop apart when you tweak them to fit the contour of the tank. Remember, they have 30 year-old glue and have been flattened out from storage all these years. Re-glue with a good epoxy and c-clamp them together overnight - AFTER you've confirmed the fit.

Dave
More pearls. Thanks as always Dave, will do.
Nils Menten

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

NobleHops wrote:P.S. Artie

Sorry about the hijack of your topic, hope this was all a little useful. You're going to need decals. Call these folks:

http://www.diablocycle.com/

...and ask them about it. They no longer list the Honda decals for sale as a result of some or other interactions with Honda but I think they may be able to COUGH point you in the right direction COUGH. You may also need emblems for your tank. I got a set a of NOS from David Silver Spares. Save the teeny screws you remove!

Thanx
its so great that the web can provide all these resources and to all the people who offer help and support

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Post photos of your project!

Happy to help - we all are.

N.
Nils Menten

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”