Fitting Non-Original tanks

Spaceprofessor
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Fitting Non-Original tanks

Post by Spaceprofessor »

Hi all,

First time poster so if I'm doing anything wrong please let me know.

I have had a look around the forums and across a fair chunk of the net for information, but can't find anything to help me out.
I am currently doing a rebuild of a '79 CBX (first rebuild - jumping in the deep end a bit) and along my way I have found that my fuel tank is really bad. It's taken a bit of damage from some sort of sharp object and is pretty rusty. I think my best course of action is to replace it. Here lies my problem, as the frame of the bike is quite "muscular" I can't find a tank that will fit. Would anyone know where I could find a replacement tank, any other tank models that would fit or how to measure the "triangle" so I can get a custom one made?

I am not sticking to the original CBX build, so I am ok with tanks off of other bikes.

Also, if anyone is feeling kind and has any advice on the rebuild or any suggestions for upgraded parts feel free to point me in the right direction

:text-thankyouyellow:
'79 CBX in pieces in my shed

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Fitting Non-Original tanks

Post by NobleHops »

Sorry I'm no particular help other than to say you can definitely get another decent used stock tank if you want one and that is likely the path of least resistance.

Welcome!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Spaceprofessor

Post by Spaceprofessor »

I think that this might be the way I am going to go since I have the feeling a different tank might be a complete nightmare.

Just out of curiosity and a slight desire for a unique bike, are there any other tank models that people have fitted?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Spaceprofessor wrote:I think that this might be the way I am going to go since I have the feeling a different tank might be a complete nightmare.

Just out of curiosity and a slight desire for a unique bike, are there any other tank models that people have fitted?
I just did a couple of searches and came up empty but I'm sure it's been done.

There are a few guys that do sell a lot of used parts, Louis Mintrone, Terry (tevan), an eBay seller named mrmonkeyclaw, others. Put a wanted in the for sale/wanted area and I bet you get some offers. Start watching eBay too...
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Welcome to the ICOA forum, perfesser! ;-)

Just out of curiosity, I have played around with different tanks on a CBX frame to see if a different look could be achieved.
- Most modern tanks will not fit, as they follow the slant of the frame on the lower edge.
- The CBX frame backbone right behind the steering neck is rather wide and so is the base of the tank. This was designed like this on purpose to go with the width of the motor.
- You would need a rather wide tank, otherwise the tank would look a little small on top of the engine
- No other classic Honda tank will fit without cutting it an reshaping the bottom
- Even the largest period Honda tank, the CB1100R unit will not sit on the frame. That was my favorite choice, because they are aluminum and I have two spare ones.
Summary:
If you want to "bolt on" another tank, choices would be limited because of sizes available and I have not found a tank that would fit easy
You could fabricate a tank with a CBX bottom and another top welded together
Considering all this, finding an original replacement is most likely the easiest (and cheapest) way to go.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I dare you to copy this tank.
There is a limit to my "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" standards.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

(I moved this topic to Restorations but left a pointer to it in Engines, then deleted the other)
Nils Menten

Spaceprofessor

Post by Spaceprofessor »

I dare you to copy this tank.
There is a limit to my "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" standards.
I definitely agree. There's no way I'll be going as far out as that. A lot of the customs I have seen on the web seem to be very gaudy and over the top.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll be sticking with the original tank I think.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”