UK Painters - Candy Glory Red

markiem
New Member & Happy To Be Here

UK Painters - Candy Glory Red

Post by markiem »

Hi,
I'm looking to get my 1979 1000Z repainted to Candy Glory Red and I just wondered if anyone in the UK has had any good experiences or recommendations of who to use for a CBX re-spray? I've never had a bike re-sprayed before and the thought of just picking someone from the web with no recommendation is scary as it's not going to be cheap and needs to be done correctly.
I've also noticed on some photos of other CBX's that the side panels seem to have a high gloss finish but mine are just matt. Is matt the standard factory finish and have the gloss ones been re-sprayed or just lacquered do you reckon?
Any help, advice or recommendations gratefully received.
Many thanks in advance.
M

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: UK Painters - Candy Glory Red

Post by EMS »

Mark:

1979 sidecovers were always matte black. The gloss black ones only appeared on some of the 1980 models. I do know several people, however, who had their 79 sidecovers painted gloss black and it doesn't look too bad. If you are not a stickler for originality, you may like the gloss black sidecovers. I don't think it will take away from the bike, if you have it repainted anyway.
Last edited by EMS on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I might lack imagination, or maybe I've just been overly conditioned that they are supposed to look a certain way, but I don't care for the side covers being painted the color of the tank when guys do that, EXCEPT of course in the case of the super-fast black bikes :-). I think personally that the matte finish looks best with the Candy Glory Red bodywork, for sure.

Mel Watkins will no doubt have a solid recommendation for you in the UK Mark, I think his handle is CBXMEL here.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NobleHops wrote: they are supposed to look a certain way, ....., EXCEPT of course in the case of the super-fast black bikes :-). I think personally that the matte finish looks best with the Candy Glory Red bodywork, for sure.

Well, some believe that some 1980 Candy Glory Red bikes came with gloss black sidecovers from the factory.... :think:

markiem

Post by markiem »

Many thanks for the advice Gents. I've sent a PM to Mel so hopefully he'll be able to assist.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

markiem wrote:Many thanks for the advice Gents. I've sent a PM to Mel so hopefully he'll be able to assist.
From Mel:
Most Uk cbxers seem to use Dream Machine based in Nottingham central England. www.dream-machine.co.uk
tel 00 44 115 973 6615 There are a few other painters around the ountry but none have been at it as long as Dream Machine. I used them for my first award winning 79 back in 1989. Thanks for the mention about the artcile on my red 79. Much appreciated.
Now post up a project thread with some photos man! :D
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”