CBX Engine Painting?

markiem
New Member & Happy To Be Here

CBX Engine Painting?

Post by markiem »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and equally new to CBX ownership after a gap of some thirty years but loving it again reliving my youth!
I'm just looking for some advice please on how to repair an area of paintwork on my engine as shown below. It's an unrestored 1979 model and the engine on the whole is in excellent decorative order, however there's just this small patch where the paint has worn away and I'd really like to sort it out. If anyone can advise how I'm best to do this and what paint to use, colour match etc. assuming it's possible without making a complete mess of it I would be really grateful.
Many thanks in advance.
Engine Peeling Photo 6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: CBX Engine Painting?

Post by daves79x »

Welcome, Mark, is it? I've touched up several engines similar to your photo with excellent results. I just find a rib, seam, whatever won't show and mask off from there the bad spot. Prep it as you would any surface. We have different paint choices over here than you do - I'm sure one of your countrymen will be along shortly to suggest a paint to match. Then just spray in the area you've masked off. On your particular bike, I'd mask off as far back as you can get by the clutch cover, on a rib, then over the little bridge to the cylinder base. Then along the base around the front to a rib on the case. Mask down from there, and around the crank cover, at the split. Should make a tidy job.

Dave

markiem

Post by markiem »

Many thanks for the response Dave, good advice thank you. No takers as yet from the UK as to colour match so maybe you could tell me what paint you've used and I'll see if I can match that locally or at least have some idea where to start.

Many thanks,

Mark

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have been successful with a marine paint. It is called "Evinrude Engine Silver" and is usually available in spray cans in marine and boat stores. It is intended to be used on outboard motors and is heat resistant. It is an excellent match for the Honda engine silver, if you don't want to paint a whole motor.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”