Petrol tank

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Petrol tank

Post by Littleeagle28 »

Trying to remove petrol from tank as I suspect rusty innards. Removed petcock ( no strainer), suspect still in tank.

Question - how do I remove strainer and excess fuel from tank as 1979 tank has a deep infill, so turning it upside down doesn't work and with the petcock removed the fuel is not comming out that way either.

Hmmm.........

You help is much appreciated.

Arnie

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Petrol tank

Post by tevan »

There is no good way to get it out without tearing it up. It has to go though. I use a pick and start digging. I don't use a screen and put pipe tape on the threads and tighten the petcock down.I also put a plastic washer in there. I then put a good inline filter after the petcock.

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Littleeagle28 »

tevan wrote:There is no good way to get it out without tearing it up. It has to go though. I use a pick and start digging. I don't use a screen and put pipe tape on the threads and tighten the petcock down.I also put a plastic washer in there. I then put a good inline filter after the petcock.
Thanks Tevan, any ideas how to get the rest of the fuel out at all?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Littleeagle28 wrote: Thanks Tevan, any ideas how to get the rest of the fuel out at all?
Keep trying upside down through the filler hole. It is a tedious process, but you get almost all out and the very small rest will evaporate if you let the tank sit in a warm dry place for 2-3 days.

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Littleeagle28 »

Will do, it was my last resort.
TA very muchly
Arnie

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Littleeagle28 »

EMS wrote:
Littleeagle28 wrote: Thanks Tevan, any ideas how to get the rest of the fuel out at all?
Keep trying upside down through the filler hole. It is a tedious process, but you get almost all out and the very small rest will evaporate if you let the tank sit in a warm dry place for 2-3 days.
Once empty, what would you recommend to flush it out in order to get the rest of the dirt,muck,fluff, gunk and custard that may still be in there?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I suspect you have a thick film of 'tar in the bottom of your tank. This comes from the evaporation of old gas. It's very hard to remove, but POR 15 makes a strong alkali cleaner called Marine Clean that does a good job. There is certainly rust in there also and that takes some different process to remove. Lots of ways to proceed there, but you need to get the old crud/fuel residue/tar out first. Be prepared to spend hours on this project - one of the worst restoration jobs.

Dave

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Littleeagle28 »

daves79x wrote:I suspect you have a thick film of 'tar in the bottom of your tank. This comes from the evaporation of old gas. It's very hard to remove, but POR 15 makes a strong alkali cleaner called Marine Clean that does a good job. There is certainly rust in there also and that takes some different process to remove. Lots of ways to proceed there, but you need to get the old crud/fuel residue/tar out first. Be prepared to spend hours on this project - one of the worst restoration jobs.

Dave
Thanks Dave will try and get some of it over here. Once I use it, what is the best way to empty it, or by using it will it come out of the petcock hole(I have removed petcock already), as the fuel does not come out there at the moment. I had to turn upside down and shake for 20 mins or so to get remnants out.
TA
Arnie

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Arnie you're going to have to just stuff a hose in there and try and flood that crap out with a lot of water once you've got it loosened up. There's no magic way that I've heard of. A product called Evaporust is well regarded by some and reputed to be safe for paint, and there are many other rust removal methods in many threads on the topic here as well. Avail yourself of the search feature upper right and see what you find, but if you don't find what you need, by all means, ask away.

Good luck!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Littleeagle28
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Littleeagle28 »

NobleHops wrote:Arnie you're going to have to just stuff a hose in there and try and flood that crap out with a lot of water once you've got it loosened up. There's no magic way that I've heard of. A product called Evaporust is well regarded by some and reputed to be safe for paint, and there are many other rust removal methods in many threads on the topic here as well. Avail yourself of the search feature upper right and see what you find, but if you don't find what you need, by all means, ask away.

Good luck!

N.
Muchos gracios Nils, will give it a go.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”