82 prolink valve cover paint

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

82 prolink valve cover paint

Post by tevan »

I want to repaint my prolink valve cover. The laquer is yellowing and looks like crap. I know you guys are ceramic coating and powder coating these but I just want to paint it as closest to stock as possible. I donot want to powdercoat or ceramic it. What brand and colors will work for this in the spray can that looks close to stock :handgestures-fingerscrossed: ?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 82 prolink valve cover paint

Post by EMS »

It has been a long time since I last saw a valve cover in good original condition, but I seem to remember that the covers were not painted. I think the aluminum was brushed and then clearcoated. I had mine polished.
I have been able to duplicate engine color very well with Evinrude Engine Silver, which is a heat resistant marine engine paint. I think there is a similar product from OM also. Marine equipment shops carry them.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Do you think I could just take the clear off and polish and be good to go? How hard is it to polish this big cover?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The opinions and the feedback regarding valve cover polishing differ quite a bit.
Here is my experience:
I had both the covers on my 79 and my 81 polished by a guy who does it for a living. He charged me $100.- per cover and the result was outstanding. He told me not to clearcoat the covers, because there would be corrosion under the clearcoat and this would create the ugly spiderwebs we are all familiar with. He recommended to stay on top of any discoloration/oxydation by ever so often (actually once a year) polish the covers with a good metal polish like Mother's or Meguiars. I followed his recommendation and after ten years, the covers still look great.
One thing that has always puzzled me, is that Honda made the alternator, transmission and oil line cover on the '79 from Magnesium in order to save weight, but left the clutch and valve cover, the largest ones, in aluminum. The upside is, however, that they can be polished and stay polished.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I have bead blasted the 81/82 VC's, polished them and then clear coated them with PJ1 epoxy clear coat with good results. The secret is to not pile on the product, this will help avoid cracking and yellowing.

Summit Racing and most MC shops carry PJ1 products or get it online,
http://www.erionracing.com/pj1coatingsclearepoxy.aspx

The aluminum Honda used during the era of our bikes has a lot of impurities in it, might be what Mike is referring to.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

What polishing actually is, is a densifying process of the outer layer of a metal. It eliminates not only variations in height but also closes pores. It is comparable to a hammering or forging process. You end up with a thin layer of dense material that resists aggressive attacks from environmental effects including oxydation.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Thanks for all the reply's. I guess I will polish this cover then. I am going to strip the clear off first. :text-thankyouyellow:

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”