Lubricating Cables

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Lubricating Cables

Post by Kool_Biker »

There are few things in our hobby I find less appealing, than trying to force lubricant down old, dirty, dried, clutch, speedo, rev counter cables ...
I have every contraption which supposedly does the job, but either they all leak making a mess of everything near them or they will need so much cleaning afterwards, that I cannot bother. After all it isn't like I do this every day.

So the other day I thought of another way which I have found simple, clean and efficient and would like to share with you. I am sure others will have thought of this, but I for one, have never come across it before.

Take a piece of heat shrinkable tubing of suitable diameter and after positioning as shown heat up in part, to create a custom funnel.
Fill it with (in my case) engine oil, and let gravity do its job overnight!
Just make sure there is something down the other end to catch the overflow.
P1000472 (1).jpg
One word of warning: Make sure you protect the nylon part of the cable as you are applying heat, as it could easily melt. Wrapping it with a bit of aluminium foil would do fine.

Best, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Lubricating Cables

Post by Rick Pope »

Such an elegant solution to a messy job. Thank you Aris! :clap:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

What he said. Great solution to a messy problem!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Thanks Aris, you are so organised, it would take me longer to find the heatshrink than do the job! I have been cutting the corner off the parts bags and then tapeing them to the cable and then allow the engine oil to drain through overnight and it works well. My best effort was to clamp a rubber hose to the top of the cable using a hose clip and then pour some oil into the rubber hose, apply 5psi of pressure (compressor) to the other end of the hose and watch the oil pour out the other end. Not that I am impatient just usually leave this to the last minute... :lol:

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I raided our kitchen drawers for a small plastic household funnel that was part of a set my wife had. Works perfect.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

EMS wrote:I raided our kitchen drawers for a small plastic household funnel that was part of a set my wife had. Works perfect.
Fair enough Mike, you are obviously used to playing with fire ...
BUT in posts like yours, one should ALWAYS include disclaimers regarding raids into the house kitchen :laughing-rolling:

Goss on the other hand, seems to lead a far less dangerous life ...

Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Kool_Biker wrote: Goss on the other hand, seems to lead a far less dangerous life ...

Aris
Aris, after 25 years of marriage I have done most of the dangerous stuff, messed up the dishwasher, grease on carpet and curtains and parking my bikes in the dining room (before refurb), and paid the price! She who must be obeyed seems to win in the end! :lol:

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Ever since I cleaned the inside of a CB350F tank by tumbleing it in the dryer, there is little I can do to make it worse..... :o :o

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”