My CBX restoration story

big6fanatic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

My CBX restoration story

Post by big6fanatic »

I grew up as a teenager watching ’80s motorcycles and dreaming of having one. The Honda motorcycle line up was my favourite; the CB1100F, the V65s, the turbo’s, the CBXs… I had my motorcycle driver licence at 17 years old. A few years later, the student I was, could only afford a used Honda XL350. Went to university and had to sell my Honda. Once I graduated, I met my girlfriend… and you could imagine the story: an apartment, a marriage, a new house and mortgage, one kid then another one. I had to put on the back burner my dream of having a real road bike.

Back 4 years ago, I’ve been in contact with a CBX owner who wanted to sell his baby…. That was the occasion. The bike was not in good shape. The rear tire was good though…. Got the X for 1000$ I believe today that I was blinded by the dream of getting back on the road.

My first idea was to just patch a few of the ugliest parts. Guess what? You patch one part then look at the part next to it and think “If I do this one too, it will look better…” I got caught in the game. It wasn’t supposed to be a full restoration process.

My wife couldn’t understand why I bought this motorcycle. To her it was a piece of crap. Every time I was working on the bike she was boiling… “You are spending time and money for nothing. Why didn’t you bought a decent bike instead” she was saying. But I am stubborn. Then little by little, slowly but surely the project was progressing. I faced numerous challenges in the process of restoring my X. I’m not a car mechanic but I guess my engineer background helped. This web site also helped a lot. Thanks to their administrators and to all of those of are posting on it. I got in trouble many times but this great source of info pulled me out of sh**t many times. I felt I owed something to it. I decided to contribute by becoming an ICOA member (#6378) I feel this is the least I can do.

After more than 3 years, I finally put the bike on the road in early August. And guess what? My wife changed her mind and is requesting her daily ride on the back seat. She realized the CBX is not an ordinary bike. As a matter of fact, I don’t count the amount of time where waiting at a red light I heard “What year is it?” followed by 2 thumbs up.

I just can’t describe the feeling of driving my big6. It just feels great like this bike has been designed for me. And the unmistakable sound and feeling of this inline 6 that make you shiver when you twist the throttle… No doubt, I’m in love….My only regret? The riding season is almost over here in Quebec. I’m dreaming of the next one…

More than 20 years after I got my first ride. Boy, it fells like the first time….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnaMCs62DJY

IMG_0399.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: My CBX restoration story

Post by spencer »

Beautiful '81! I thought it was an '82 until I watched the video. I'm sure it is going to be a long winter if you have to wait till spring to ride it again.
SCH Rochester, MN

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

Great job -- very nice!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Excellent restoration, big6.
With that fairing there is still plenty of time to ride.
You and Mikey are adding some style to the Montreal vintage bike scene.

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

Really nice, i have one of these but no where near as nice as yours.
I am one of the few that prefer the look of the Prolink and i like the white the best ( i have the silver prolink as well).
I could easily paint mine providing i can get the graphics made up. I am going to try some of the local signmakers and see what they say.

Stormer
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Stormer »

Very nice, great histor!
Enjoy your bike, be happy and ride safe!
Sory the bad english!

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

You, sir, have done one fine bit of work!! Congratulations. Enjoy! And, yes, I like the white on the '81.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

SPLINTER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SPLINTER »

patzx12 wrote:Really nice, i have one of these but no where near as nice as yours.
I am one of the few that prefer the look of the Prolink and i like the white the best ( i have the silver prolink as well).
I could easily paint mine providing i can get the graphics made up. I am going to try some of the local signmakers and see what they say.
The decals are available from several local vendors. I think the last time I checked the entire set including warning decals sells for 199.00 SD

wilson_bestfurniture

Post by wilson_bestfurniture »

My story is almost the same as yours, my bikes were almost the same as your, but my wife IS the same as yours, she does not believe, she donesn't understand why I bought this old bike, dirt, ugly, out of date, leaking oil, no brakes, tire complete gone and spend a lot of money, she said with a little bit more I can buy a brand new bike, I told her if I do that was not going to be a CBX.
I just got a 81 CBX and I'll start my project, I'll do upgrade in the front/rear suspension, shocks, brakes, new wheels, new paint.
I believe she will like.
Will keep u informed.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

wilson_bestfurniture wrote:My story is almost the same as yours, my bikes were almost the same as your, but my wife IS the same as yours, she does not believe, she donesn't understand why I bought this old bike, dirt, ugly, out of date, leaking oil, no brakes, tire complete gone and spend a lot of money, she said with a little bit more I can buy a brand new bike, I told her if I do that was not going to be a CBX.
I just got a 81 CBX and I'll start my project, I'll do upgrade in the front/rear suspension, shocks, brakes, new wheels, new paint.
I believe she will like.
Will keep u informed.
Awesome Wilson, you are among kindred spirits :-).

and :text-welcomewave:

How about making a thread for your project over in the "Project Threads" area and updating it now and then? It's fun to have an account to look back on, and we'd all enjoy helping you as you go.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”