Paint for a CBX

LarryW

Paint for a CBX

Post by LarryW »

This has likely be gone over before, BUT, I am confused about what colors have which paint codes.

According to the "Vital Statistics" pages the 1979 silver CBX is: Perseus Silver NH-101M-U (1979).

I went to my paint suppliers with this code. They looked it up and said no problem. We talked about things, and it came out that this code was for a Honda bike, not a car. Well, it's not ... at least not according to these paint guys.

Their system indicates this paint code is for a Violet Metallic paint. He said, "bike paint codes and car paint codes are not interchangeable".

I explained what I knew and the folks behind the counter suggested that the only way for me to match the paint on my bike is to bring a sample in for scanning. They were confident that this process would result in the correct shade of silver containing the correct size/type/amount of metal flake.

And they also suggested that I not paint the bike parts until I was convinced it was correct. They encouraged me to paint some samples for comparison and to be prepared to fiddle with things to get it right.

Has anybody managed to repaint a silver 79 and get it right, as in exact match, not just close?

So, do the folks I am dealing with know their paints?

Does this make sense?

help...

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

I recently got some Peresus Silver for mine. I got it through a body shop with a PPG mix system. The guy had to call PPG to get the formula and they asked him if it was a car or bike. They gave him the right one cause I think the match is very good. Good luck

LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Hi Dave ... thanks for the response.

My expectation was that I would get the same results that you did, I was surprised that I did not. The vendor I was talking to was not a PPG dealer so I will be pursuing this along those lines instead.

Did you by chance make note of what code numbers are required for the PPG paint variation?

Did you give them the Perseus Silver NH-101M-U (1979) information?

Did the local vendor scan a sample to determine what mix components would be needed?

Sorry, I realize you may not know these things but it doesn't hurt to ask anyhow.

I will look for a PPG dealer.

thanks, Larry

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

It was done just from the paint code, nothing was scaned. I do suppose if you were looking for a concours type of match, it isn't perfect. I do think that because the paint on my tank is original and does have some wear, is why theres a difference. Its really small and unless your looking for it,you wouldn't notice it. I think if you were doing all the pieces it would be hard to tell any difference from stock.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”