Engine Blasting Process

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Engine Blasting Process

Post by Samelak »

I do not have access to a soda blaster where I am at, but I do have access to a plastic media blaster. If I taped off the ports and other holes would it be safe to plastic media blast my engine?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Engine Blasting Process

Post by NobleHops »

Personally, I think not Lee.

Part of soda's charm is that whatever gets past the masking is water soluable, or will burn. Not so plastic. Can you get cheap Harbor Freight stuff on Okinawa? A small soda blaster is short money...
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I could probably get the blaster, but its the media. It weighs too much for shipping through the post office to be economical. I should be returning to the States next year so I guess I will have to wait.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I have used Skat plus plastic abrasive from TPtools without any issues, it won't etch or change the dimensions of metal but you still need to plug and mask everything off.

http://www.tptools.com/p/358,183_Skat-P ... asive.html

But if you don't have access to a blaster, brushes, solvent, compressed air and good ole elbow grease will get most motors clean enough to repaint with good results. The silver paint used to re-spray our motors has a lot of flake in it and will cover very well with a couple light coats

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”