Pingel fuel valve

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Pingel fuel valve

Post by bobber01 »

This afternoon decided to put a Pingel fuel valve on the '80 CBX. Installed the 18mm adapter and tightened about 1/2 turn after it had seated. When I attempted to put the valve in place, it wouldn't go, seemed like the screen was bringing up on something. For curiosity, wanting to know if the screens were a different size, I tried the original valve. It too wouldn't go. Took the adapter off and discovered the plastic sealing washer had swelled, by crushing, enough to prevent the valve from going past.
Anyone else come across something similar? Thinking I can easily make another sealing washer from either plastic or copper but if I had known prior how much it would deform I would of trimmed some plastic from the inner bore.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Pingel fuel valve

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

You have to drill the bung out for the screen to to go all the way in and seat, I don't remember the drill size but basically one size up.

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

The bung size wasn't causing the problem, at least not on this tank, as both the Pingel and OEM valves have no issue going into place when the adapter nut is off. Neither valve will pass thru the adapter due to the sealing washer swelling after being tightened down. Maybe I could of ran a drill thru the adapter bore, after it was installed, to 'ream' out the washer. But, not knowing, I took it off and now don't feel comfortable re-using the washer so will make something up.
Hopefully a heads up for anyone who runs into a similar situation in the future.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

What year tank, 79 bung needs enlarged, the plastic washer is not re-usable per Pingle's reccomadation, you may need to buy a new washer.

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Bike is an '80 model. Ended up fabbing a copper sealing washer to replace the nylon version. Then the fuel valve slipped into place with no issue.
Not sure how many know majority of automotive electrical crimp terminals are copper, with a coating on the surface. As a field mechanic I've used round terminals many a time as sealing washers on fuel injection, oil lines and such. Just takes a little patience with a fine file to trim to size.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”