Front footpeg restore

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Front footpeg restore

Post by tevan »

Has anybody redone there front footpegs. The pegs are NLA. I know Tims redoes them but I don't want to have to get a loan to restore them. Surely somebody has done something on the cheap that looks good

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Front footpeg restore

Post by NobleHops »

Yes - I bought one of the Tim's kits and in fact Lee Samelak drilled them, bead blasted the bodies and replaced the rubbers for me. Getting the old rubbers off without munging the aluminum sounded like the worst part by far, but no first-hand knowledge. Lee kindly did this for me. I just did buy new hex cap bolts from Honda for the feelers (photo), haven't popped them on yet. The kit includes replacement footpeg rubbers with a pocket that an insert was designed to slide into on the underside. Then the insert was screwed-into from beneath through the bottom of the footpeg body. On our bikes this entails drilling the footpeg bodies pretty precisely. The Honda inserts are NLA, and so Tim's provides a simple piece of aluminum bar stock that is drilled and tapped in two locations to accept the socket head screws that they provide. You could in theory use pan head screws or countersink these if the underside view bugged you, but they are invisible unless you are lying on your back next to your bike, and if that were the case then you've got more pressing problems, right? :laughing-rollingyellow:

Lee might pipe in here, but if I recall correctly he did not use the aluminum plates that Tim's provided, preferring to fabricate something a little larger and thicker that fit the 'pocket' on the underside of the replacement rubber a little tighter. That in turn requires that you be dead-on when you drill them though. Whatever he did, they are on there solidly, and do not wiggle at all. I believe these rubbers are available from Honda if you wanted to attempt to DIY on a kit. They might be a CX650 part.

(apologies for the crappy phone camera photos)

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I was doing some searching and it looks like the 82 cx500tc rubber will work. I think you was on that thread also. The part number for the rubber is 50661-425-700... I am going to order them and fab up a plate. Was that plate square? If this works out it is a very cheap alternative to make these look like new again. Thanks for your input.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

tevan wrote:I was doing some searching and it looks like the 82 cx500tc rubber will work. I think you was on that thread also. The part number for the rubber is 50661-425-700... I am going to order them and fab up a plate. Was that plate square? If this works out it is a very cheap alternative to make these look like new again. Thanks for your input.
The plate was rectangular, sized to fit the pocket in the replacement rubber. Lee might have recorded the dimensions he arrived at, but you can probably puzzle it out pretty quickly once the rubber is in hand.

Do us all a favor and do a careful job of photographing and writing the process up when you do please? I'll post the pics if you email them to me. Last thought: I think Lee might have used a bandsaw to get the bulk of the stock rubber of, although a jigsaw or scroll saw might work well too.

N.
Nils Menten

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

When I start the project I will document it and send you the pictures so you can post them.. thanks

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome! Will be a great addition.

N.
Nils Menten

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I did use a bandsaw to cut the majority of rubber off and finished up with a bench mouted wire wheel to get the remaining rubber off. I did not like the metal inserts that came with the kit so I fabricated my own to completely fit the rubber pocket. I never got around to manufacturing the fixture to drill the foot peg. When it came down to it, A few minutes of laying out the drill points on the pegs is all it took to get locations for the bolt holes. When you lay out your holes, do so from the top, not the bottom because the bottom has the taper and will throw off hole postions in relation to where the rubber will actually sit. Plus you want your holes to be perpendicular to the top. Finally, I recommend you countersinking the bottom side so the screws can sit parallel to the rubber mount.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

So you used the ones from the 1982 cx500tc bike and had to cut them down to size? correct?

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I used the rubber foot as is and made my own insert out of a thick piece of aluminum.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

By chance you don't know the dimensions of the alum. plate do you? I am just trying to make it easier on myself. I can just figure it out if need be. Thanks for any and all of everybodys input.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I will take mine apart tomorrow and measure them Tevan.

N.
Nils Menten

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

That would be great!!! thanks

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”