Corbin seat

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Corbin seat

Post by bobber01 »

This afternoon I was showing my brother what I'd like done to the '80 CBX I am giving my son. Noticed the Corbin Dual Canyon seat has some cracking on the l/h edge grrr. Oh well. Checked out getting it re-covered in Edmonton but almost as much as buying a new one! Checked on Corbins and Tims sites, just under 400US. Any other places to get Corbin seats? I'd like to stick to the Corbin as I already have the backrest and seat does look nice on the bike.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Corbin seat

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I am surprised that getting it repaired/recovered is hugely expensive.
Was that at a motorcycle specific shop? Maybe try an auto upholsterer?

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

"The Fasterspider" Ray recently had his Corbin recovered. If my memory is correct
he spent pretty close to that !

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

Try a few local "automotive" upholstery shops. I've had a couple seats redone by a local shop. One was a Corbin. The only problem is if you want an "exact" match to an existing material.

= Bill =

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

It was a well known upholstery shop in Edmonton, who does motorcycle seats as well. Gentleman says Corbins are time consuming due to the use of rivets on the fiberglass pan, can take a couple of hours just to remove rather than minutes for staples. Cost estimate was over $300 Cdn. Think I just as well off to get a new one then toss/give away the other.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Why don't you remove the cover yourself? I paid $140.- for a recover and refoam of my BMW K1 seat by Sargent.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

The upholsterer you spoke to is blowing smoke up yer butt. I've recovered several Corbins and it's easy.

If you like that person's work, drill out the rivets yourself, and have him staple the new cover in place.

Finding the material is simple. If it's leather, so be it. The basket weave stuff is what's commonly refered to as Volkswagon material, as VW used it for tears.

Good luck.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Rick Pope wrote:The upholsterer you spoke to is blowing smoke up yer butt. I've recovered several Corbins and it's easy.

If you like that person's work, drill out the rivets yourself, and have him staple the new cover in place.

Finding the material is simple. If it's leather, so be it. The basket weave stuff is what's commonly refered to as Volkswagon material, as VW used it for tears.

Good luck.

Thanks for that. Never thought of it, too much other stuff on my mind. I'll try in the next 6 days to get it off and have someone 'shop' around with the cover. May be a place I could even send it too to be made if cann't find a place in Edmonton. The padding has just settled in nicely to fit me on the CBX, wish the Corbin on the FJR fit so nice!

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

I had a Corbin CBX seat cover partially recovered in Volkswagen. The upholsterer never even mentioned the rivets. And although it was a few years ago, nothing I had done to a bike was over $100. Geez, it didn't cost $500 to do a '73 Mustang car, front and rear seats recovered. Keep shopping.

= Bill =

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

Called another shop in Edmonton. Re-covering the seat will cost between $125-200 however uses a different material. Going to take the seat off and take it down with me to check around for prices and shop workmanship. Have 6 weeks of treatment at the Cross so hoping to find time to get it done somewhere. I also called Corbin about getting it re-upholstered by them, quote was 3/4's cost of currant seat so by time factor in shipping.... just as well to buy a new one.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Some guys will do anything to get out of shoveling snow.
Obviously just kidding Bobber. Hopefully the treatment goes well and your seat will be a belated Christmas/Get Well gift.

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Some guys will do anything to get out of shoveling snow.
Obviously just kidding Bobber. Hopefully the treatment goes well and your seat will be a belated Christmas/Get Well gift.
From what I hear Edmonton getting more snow than we are! Temps supposed to be +6 in McMurray on Monday.
Going to be staying with a co-worker who lives in St Albert. He has a '79 CBX in need of some TLC so thats what I hoping to be working on to occupy my time. If there are any fellow CBX'ers in the Edm area, drop me a line and maybe we can hook up.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:Why don't you remove the cover yourself? I paid $140.- for a recover and refoam of my BMW K1 seat by Sargent.

+1. What Mike said, I have one on my ZRX and love it, I wouldn't be surprised if Sargent has done a few CBX seats.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
EMS wrote:Why don't you remove the cover yourself? I paid $140.- for a recover and refoam of my BMW K1 seat by Sargent.

+1. What Mike said, I have one on my ZRX and love it, I wouldn't be surprised if Sargent has done a few CBX seats.
Sargent recovered my stock seat on my R1100S. $120 including return shipping and came out really well. 2 weeks turnaround. I LOVE those guys.

Before:

After (with another stock seat side by side):

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

WHOA! Those Sargant re-upholstery jobs sure like nice! Not in a rush to get the seat done so may contact Sargant for some info and compare with a couple of shops in Edm. Cost is a factor but quality and looks are the clincher's.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”