Aluminum rivets - front fender, chain guard

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Aluminum rivets - front fender, chain guard

Post by barryadam »

Anybody know the Honda p/n for the aluminum rivets used to hold the plastic front fender to the fender mount bracket? It looks to be the same as the rivets in the chainguard (1979).
Honda doesn't list the rivets separately in the parts list for the CBX. Perhaps they do so on other models.

Or maybe you know of a good other source? McMaster Carr does not have anything that matches.

For reference, they appear to be low-profile, domed head, semi-tubular, aluminum rivets, diameter 0.21", head diameter 0.35 - 0.36", head height 0.115", and grip length of 0.31".

What have you used?

Barry

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Aluminum rivets - front fender, chain guard

Post by ericfreeman »

I just ran into this same problem with my '89 GB500. A loose pair of spare forks slipped off the storage rack and hit my front fender, causing it to shift within the rivets. Only way to fix the alignment was to remove the factory 4 rivets and re-set the plastic fender to the steel brace. Couldn't find anything in the way of aluminum rivets that would work so wound up using some stainless truss-head machine screws with thin jam nuts underneath. Not the factory look most of would want but it works and the added advantage that in the future, if I repaint the fender I will be able to disassemble it from the brace so there won't be any masking to deal with.

If you have access to a lathe, you could take some aluminum bolts, turn the heads to mimic the OEM rivets and use the thin nuts with red Loctite underneath. Only you would know the difference.

Eric

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

Eric,

Thanks. I am close with a MIL-SPEC rivet, that might need some re-work. If I can get closer, it would help.
Think I'll expand the search to include others, like the Vintage Japanese site.

Barry

kcdaniels
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kcdaniels »

I know this is a old thread but we are in the same boat.... looking for a source for rivets on our restoration on a 79....

thanks

Dan

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

Dan,

Never have solved the problem yet. Have turned my attention to the motor rebuild. The rolling chassis is sitting here, fender less, awaiting the power plant.

Know anyone that can cnc a few dozen custom rivets? And forming tools? :lol:

Barry

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”